Oil & Fuel Fuel consumption- dramatic improvement>

/ Fuel consumption- dramatic improvement> #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
Is it normal for a dramatic improvement in fuel consumption after break-in? My 2800 has 63 hours on it now and it seems like about 10 hours ago, she started using much less fuel. Thats about when I started adding Diesel KLEEN to the fuel though too. When I first got it last year, it took about 5 gallons to mow my yard 2 times. Now, it seems I can almost mow my yard 4 times with the same amount of fuel. I'm not complaining, I just can't believe the difference in fuel economy is so drastic.

/ Fuel consumption- dramatic improvement> #2  
I've never really noticed my tractor use a lot of fuel. It seems to run forever. I've probably only ever added fuel 2-3 times and I have 20 hours on it. I use Stanadyne Lubricity formula, same as I do in my F250.

/ Fuel consumption- dramatic improvement> #3  
It takes some time for the piston rings to bed into the bores and produce a tighter seal so you would probably find that once every thing had bedded down you would get a better fuel consumption. With the better quality machine tools they manufacture today they can make engines to a much finer tolerance than they used to in the past, so in theory the engines that come out of the machine shop now are virtually run in for you, with very tight clearances to the moving parts. Even with new cars you will find that they are tight to drive when you first have them ( ie they wont accelerate quickly), and after about 1500-4000 miles they will loosen up and you get the performance out of them that you first expected! Its that tightness that uses the fuel, once loosened up there's less friction and consumption improves.

Anyway hope that helps in some way

Mat

/ Fuel consumption- dramatic improvement> #4  
I noticed a big difference around 30 hrs on a 39HP Mitsubishi. It used to drink fuel when bush hogging...now it just sips it. I'm pretty happy with the fuel vs work done ratio now. When the machine was new I was NOT a happy camper and listed high fuel consumption as a "con" of the tractor. I now stand corrected.

/ Fuel consumption- dramatic improvement> #5  
MDM said:
Is it normal for a dramatic improvement in fuel consumption after break-in?

I have kept a record of fuel consumption of my B7500 since I bought it new. It averaged 0.57 gallons per hour for the first 434 hours, at which time I began using Power Service Diesel Kleen. With Diesel Kleen, it has averaged 0.53 gph for the last 259 hours. About 85% of my hours are at PTO RPM.

/ Fuel consumption- dramatic improvement> #6  
"Dramatic" might be a strong word, but yes it's normal for it to improve once rings seat and things "loosen up" like Mat said. It's also likely that YOU are much more efficient with the tractor and mowing your yard, now that you've had hours of practice with it.