Oil & Fuel Fuel Filling - Watch out!

/ Fuel Filling - Watch out! #1  

boxygen

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2415 TLB 1967 Holder AG3, articulated 4wd
Some of you have probably already had this experience but....I went to top off the tractor last night before going out to plow and fuel overflowed all over the floor of the garage almost immediately. I wasnt expecting it so lost about half a liter or more on the floor (by way of the engine compartment and hood) before pulled the Jerry can out and uprighted it. Turns out the viscosity of the fuel in cold temps would not flow through the strainer in the neck of the tank. It was about 20 degrees inside the garage. As much as I hated to, I filled the tank without the strainer because that was my only option. I stopped with about a gallon left so maybe all the crap in the bottom wouldnt end up in my fuel system. I thought maybe there was ice or something in the strainer so I blew it out with compressed air. THere was no ice and it didnt help at all.
I'm just hoping that this will help someone not make a big of a mess like I did.

/ Fuel Filling - Watch out! #2  
Thanks for the tip, not something I have experienced or thought of.
In retrospect, sure - pouring cold fuel across a fine mesh probably would lead to clogging of that mesh if the temp is low enough.
Surface tension, capillary effect, "wicking", whatever.

I put 5 gallons in this morning at 16F, though I was using a non vented can, so it was SLOW anyway.
This was relatively warm fuel, it had been in the back of the warm SUV for 1/2 hour or so after just having come out the ground.

/ Fuel Filling - Watch out! #3  
Maybe try adding the cetane boost to the fuel while in the storage container. If it keeps the fuel from gelling in the filter maybe it alters the viscocity somewhat. Not sure though. If you are running at those temps you need toe cetane boost anyway.

I started my tractor when it was -6 the other day. I had it plugged in for an hour and it still needed a jump on the battery. That is one thing that drives me crazy about the 6500. the battery is way up front and hard to get to. Try running jumper cables down in there. I have to tilt the air filter out of the way. After I got it running I was disconnecting the jumpers and my coat covered the air intake and I thought I was going to get sucked in! :)

/ Fuel Filling - Watch out!
I put cetane in the jug right before this operation...didn't seem to make a difference. Also, what was in the tractor and what I topped it off with was actually red died heating oil. Not sure of what additives are in it. I have been starting the tractor for a few weeks in 15 degree +/- weather with the same fuel without added cetane or conditioners without any problems though. But I decided not to tempt fate and add some anyway. Overall the tractor starts very well in the cold, its just the physics of the cold temperatures and the fine mesh keeping me on my toes! :)

/ Fuel Filling - Watch out! #5  
Maybe try adding the cetane boost to the fuel while in the storage container. If it keeps the fuel from gelling in the filter maybe it alters the viscocity somewhat. Not sure though. If you are running at those temps you need toe cetane boost anyway.

I started my tractor when it was -6 the other day. I had it plugged in for an hour and it still needed a jump on the battery. That is one thing that drives me crazy about the 6500. the battery is way up front and hard to get to. Try running jumper cables down in there. I have to tilt the air filter out of the way. After I got it running I was disconnecting the jumpers and my coat covered the air intake and I thought I was going to get sucked in! :)

Tim, on the 6500 I think you can usually get to the starter end of the battery cable easier than the battery end of it. You can jump it there if you are careful, put the ground on the block. You just have to be careful with the cable as it is easy to do a little arc welding on the starter if the cable end slips.

/ Fuel Filling - Watch out! #6  
An option you might try:

I have wired an ANDERSON connector to my tractor as well as my other vehicles.

The Anderson connectors are what are used on electric fork lifts (very high amps) and are excellent for accessable battery jumping.

My jumper cables also terminate with the Anderson connector.

You simply wire in parallel and locate the connector at any 'out of hood' convenient location.

Many a tow trucks around here also use them for convenience as it saves lifting to hood every time.

Do an EBay search and you will often find them at reasonable prices.

Good luck!

/ Fuel Filling - Watch out! #7  
Tim, on the 6500 I think you can usually get to the starter end of the battery cable easier than the battery end of it. You can jump it there if you are careful, put the ground on the block. You just have to be careful with the cable as it is easy to do a little arc welding on the starter if the cable end slips.

Thanks Dave I had checked that out and it was too close for comfort for me. Plus the terminal had some type of cover on it I wasn't about to try to take off in that cold! I am going to install a quick connector like is used on warn winches and tow trucks. I have a bunch of them. I want to make all my vehicles and tractors and winches quick connectable so I can just plug 2 together and jump like the pros or attach a winch to any of them if need be. Just have to make the cables now.....

/ Fuel Filling - Watch out! #8  
Also a dryer outlet and pigtail can be adapted for a disconnect of jumper cables. I have a dry outlet mounted in the grille and jumper cables terminated to a use pigtail works fine.