Fuel filter question

/ Fuel filter question #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
My L3430 stays at property I own a couple of hours from my primary residence. It has around 700 hours, and has been trouble free since I bought it used about 8-9 years ago. I only put 50-75 hours a year on it.

I do my own maintenance which is primarily just oil changes and greasing. One thing I have let slip through the cracks is changing the fuel filter. Well I finally remembered to buy a filter and did the change today. The old filter was quite dirty, and there was some sludge in the bowl. Even with the new filter and clean bowl, I didn't notice any change in the way it ran, but I will do my best to remember to make a yearly change.

Does anyone think there is likely an residual damage from my inattention? Do you think I should run an injector cleaner in the next tank of fuel? If so, any recommended brand?

/ Fuel filter question #2  
It should be fine. Once they won't stay running, you know it's time to change the fuel filter lol. No damage was caused, if it was really plugged, it wouldn't run at all.

/ Fuel filter question #3  
I have rarely changed my fuel filters. Did change the two on my F3080 after 5 years last month due to what I thought may be the filter issue but it wasn't, it was the seat safety switch and me coming up out of the seat a bit on steep down hill runs while letting off the go pedal.
I was looking at my maintenance schedule for the F3080 last week and checked on fuel filters and I think it recommended to do it at 400 or 800 hours. I guess it will let you know if it has a problem and it is there to serve a purpose of filtering the fuel. Water freezing in the (bad)fuel or fuel filter is another issue for some folks but usually not here.
I would hunt for something else to be concerned about and not you change or lack of change of your fuel filter. My :2cents: from my personal hands on experience.

/ Fuel filter question #4  
My ford was my first diesel. Being used to gas I never bothered with the filter. When it started to stall climbing grades I changed it and it was black and dirty. That was 25 years ago and it still runs great.
I change filters every three years.

/ Fuel filter question #5  
I have over 450 hours on my Kubota B26 now and had to change the fuel filter at around 400 hours. It started running rough occasionally and it finally dawned on me to change the filter. Put in a new one and no more problems. I also changed my Kubota RTV900 filter at that time but found that its filter was pristine. All fuel comes from the same tank so I don't know what clogged the B26 filter. I probably put more fuel thru the RTV than the b26.

/ Fuel filter question #6  
Oh and as for damage, nothing can be damaged by a stopped up fuel filter. It just starves the injection pump of fuel and it wont run.
If you have a fuel sediment bowl and if fills up with water due to lack of maintenance on your part, it could freeze and burst in cold weather if it gets too much water in it. Most are tapered bowl shape so ice would just expand upward and not break the bowl as long as it has some where to go up.
Best to keep the bowl checked but I too am negligent in doing that. Worst case scenario for my Kubota is that the bowl would freeze and break and I would loose what ever fuel is in the tank since it is free to run if the bowl breaks.

/ Fuel filter question
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I don't have any worries. Good to know.

/ Fuel filter question #8  
Best thing you can do is install a clear in line filter to catch the big stuff. My F2560 had a metal one, started bogging while mowing. Replaced it and was good until tonight. Found another hidden inline filter, replaced that as well. It's never run better!