Fuel Gauge dead on my RTV

/ Fuel Gauge dead on my RTV
jpaeye - it runs fine. It is only when it is almost out of fuel that I detect a few misses. As soon as I get some fuel back in, she runs fine.

Frank

/ Fuel Gauge dead on my RTV
Guys,
Thanks for your help and suggestions. The fuel gauge is now working. I did some debugging and found varying resistance at the connector when I changed the position of the tank float, which seemed like a good thing to me. There was 12v available on one of the leads when ignition was on, and the light in the meter was lit when the lights were on. This all made me suspect that the meter itself was bad, and I took it to Reading Tractor (PA), where they had a mechanic hook it up to one of their RTVs. He verified that it was dead, so I picked up a new one while there. The float mechanism looked fine with no sign of damage, corrosion, or any other problem and gave consistent high and low resistance readings as I pivoted it back and forth. I put it all back together and I was glad to see the gauge working for the first time in several years.

I appreciate the free testing from Reading Tractor. They seem to have a pretty good inventory of Kubota and Bobcat parts and have helped me out several times.

Frank

/ Fuel Gauge dead on my RTV #14  
Guys,
Thanks for your help and suggestions. The fuel gauge is now working. ... had a mechanic hook it up to one of their RTVs. He verified that it was dead, so I picked up a new one while there.
Frank

I was about to do the same and pick up one from the Kubota dealer ... but I did a bit of searching on the Weeb and found the "bad gauge" solution.
Thanks to a clever posting on Youtube, I was able to pull apart the gauge and with a bit of solder and a pencil solding iron ... it works! Hasn't worked for many a year!

Once you carefully pry off the metal ring holding the glass ... and then remove a black plastic face cover and then pop out the gauge face ... you will find the circuit board. The top right corner will look cooked and if you then remove the gauge circuit board from the case and examine the back side there are two resistors that will also look cooked. Simply refresh the solder joints on both resistors, top and bottom. Take the circuit board back to the RTV and plug it in carefully and turn on the key. Hopefully like Jim's Youtube video and my own experience it should flip to the correct level of the tank. Put it back together and you are good to go ... and it didn't cost a dang thing!

Ian