Fueling up L4701

/ Fueling up L4701 #1  

40_acre_mule

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I have a fairly new 4701, replacing a 4400
When refueling, I struggle to see the fuel level. The opening is so small, (to prevent those evil fumes from escaping) I can't see once the nozzle is in.
I've already overfilled and spilled a couple of times. Kind of negates the fumes capture aspect, right?
I need a better set up
Any suggestions?

/ Fueling up L4701 #2  
I have a fairly new 4701, replacing a 4400
When refueling, I struggle to see the fuel level. The opening is so small, (to prevent those evil fumes from escaping) I can't see once the nozzle is in.
I've already overfilled and spilled a couple of times. Kind of negates the fumes capture aspect, right?
I need a better set up
Any suggestions?

What is your fueling setup?
Up till last week, I was pouring fuel from 5 gal containers but after reading of others success with one of these:
Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Pump.
I am a convert!

/ Fueling up L4701 #3  
I overfilled my previous L3410 several times, and upgraded to a fuel transfer tank, 12v pump, filter, and auto shutoff nozzle.
Not cheap, but fueling is now painless.

/ Fueling up L4701
I've got a 90 gal tank and 115vac GPI fuel pump. The problem is the opening of the fuel tank on the tractor is so small that once the nozzle is in, it is impossible to see the fuel level inside the tank. I have to stop every few seconds to remove the nozzle and look in. If I sneeze or the dog barks, there's diesel all over.
I need a way to determine the fuel level while filling. I tried watching the fuel gauge, but that's hard to see while filling and there's a slight delay.

/ Fueling up L4701 #5  
What is your fueling setup?
Up till last week, I was pouring fuel from 5 gal containers but after reading of others success with one of these:
Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Pump.
I am a convert!

Thx for the suggestion. Ive seen thispump and I致e watched the video and looked at spec sheet but probably missed it.

Do you know, Will this pump move fuel from ground level to the top of my tractor, probably 5 ft high?

The hose is only 2 ft. Long?

Can I think of this as a good way to move fuel but it does not solve the lifting problem? Honestly, lifting it up isn稚 the problem, it痴 tipping the gas can over and everything leaks and it痴 just difficult.

The more I think about it, I知 gettin one. Even if you must still lift the gas can, better than all that spilling!

Thx

/ Fueling up L4701 #6  
I don't know how high it will pump as the fuel fill on my M is at knee height and I put the 5 gallon jug on the cab floor to pump down into the tank.
Putting the jug on the hood or wherever needed to pump would still be neater and easier than pouring from the jug.

/ Fueling up L4701 #7  
I'm using a tranfer pump that attaches to the drill machine. First I ran it with the battery drill, now I use the 110 volt. It maintains the speed. But it still doesn't shut off. It would easily lift the fuel from the ground to hood level.

/ Fueling up L4701 #8  
I've got a 90 gal tank and 115vac GPI fuel pump. The problem is the opening of the fuel tank on the tractor is so small that once the nozzle is in, it is impossible to see the fuel level inside the tank. I have to stop every few seconds to remove the nozzle and look in. If I sneeze or the dog barks, there's diesel all over.
I need a way to determine the fuel level while filling. I tried watching the fuel gauge, but that's hard to see while filling and there's a slight delay.

Bummer. I can't think of a solution to that problem. The fill hole on my M9540 is huge and I still overfill it if I'm not paying close attention. The fill hole on my old Ford is kinda small but I can see past the nozzle enough to prevent overfill.

On my M9540 the tank is below the floorpan and the fill is at the back of the tractor. If I overfill it simply spills onto the ground. No big deal.

On the Ford the tank is up high just behind the engine. If I overfill it spills fuel all over the tank and down the sides of the tractor at the back of the engine making a mess.

/ Fueling up L4701
I'm kinda thinking I could make the hole bigger without dropping bits into the tank
Or maybe rigging up a float stick that can just fit past the nozzle

Any other thoughts?

/ Fueling up L4701 #10  
I'm kinda thinking I could make the hole bigger without dropping bits into the tank
Or maybe rigging up a float stick that can just fit past the nozzle

Any other thoughts?

Why won't an auto shutoff nozzle work?