Future project: adding additional hydraulic circuits to a vintage Case 430

/ Future project: adding additional hydraulic circuits to a vintage Case 430 #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
Good Morning!

our 1962 Case 430 has a single original control for the three-point.

I would like to (at some point between all the OTHER projects) like to add in additional controls so I can operate a hydro top-link and maybe even add a front loader.

Can anyone provide pointers/advice/suggestions?

thank you!

/ Future project: adding additional hydraulic circuits to a vintage Case 430 #2  
The output on the hydraulic pump is 8.5 gpm, which could work on a loader, but is pretty low.
You could tie into the existing valve for the hitch and run a new set of valves to control the hitch and whatever else leaving the existing valve locked in one direction all the time.
Otherwise, you would have to make or have made a custom block to port the hydraulic oil on the "top cover" of the tractor where the existing valve ties in.

/ Future project: adding additional hydraulic circuits to a vintage Case 430 #3  
You can do it. But the problem with those old tractors is that when the 3pt is not activated the fluid just flows through the system. So unless the 3pt is moving, there is no pressure in that 3pt to tie into.

The standard work-around 50 years ago was to put a manual selector/diverter valve into the flow line from hydraulic pump to the 3pt. You will see that a lot on old tractors like Case and Farmall. When you wanted to work something other than the 3pt hitch, you threw the lever -often mounted under the dash - which would divert the flow to where you wanted pressure.
Like tractor tech says, that isn't much flow rate. And it is probably in the 1000 to 1500 psi range. But cheap, bulletproof, and better than nothing. Problem is the 3pt doesn't work when the loader does and vice versa.

If you want a much better system, put a through-shaft type hydraulic pump on the PTO shaft. It will benefit from a separate reservoir, but can use the existing res sometimes. Then you have lots of flow and pressure at all times, the 3pt still works normally, and it is an easy mod.
rScotty

/ Future project: adding additional hydraulic circuits to a vintage Case 430 #4  
BTW, if your old Case 430 doesn't have a PTO for some reason, it is possible to drive a hydraulic pump directly off the front of the engine. But the PTO is best.

/ Future project: adding additional hydraulic circuits to a vintage Case 430
BTW, if your old Case 430 doesn't have a PTO for some reason, it is possible to drive a hydraulic pump directly off the front of the engine. But the PTO is best.
It does have PTO and it does work, but theoretically if I want to run a brush hog off the PTO and adjust the hydro toplink I can do that? I thought those PTO pumps basically eliminated PTO output when mounted? Or are there pumps with a Through-shaft?
thanks !

/ Future project: adding additional hydraulic circuits to a vintage Case 430 #6  
It does have PTO and it does work, but theoretically if I want to run a brush hog off the PTO and adjust the hydro toplink I can do that? I thought those PTO pumps basically eliminated PTO output when mounted? Or are there pumps with a Through-shaft?
thanks !
Yes, you've got it. There are PTO pumps that allow for a through shaft. The downside of the PTO pump is the low RPM means they tend toward being large and heavy. Bulletproof, though. And not expensive.

The other option is a smaller pump driven off the nose of the crankshaft by a flexible shaft coupler. I've seen those, but never built one. Maybe someone followig has.

/ Future project: adding additional hydraulic circuits to a vintage Case 430
Yes, you've got it. There are PTO pumps that allow for a through shaft. The downside of the PTO pump is the low RPM means they tend toward being large and heavy. Bulletproof, though. And not expensive.

The other option is a smaller pump driven off the nose of the crankshaft by a flexible shaft coupler. I've seen those, but never built one. Maybe someone followig has.
Yeah, I would hate to have to mount/unmount the pump every time I wanted to use PTO implements… A shorter shaft would be on the list, too…