G1800 electrical ?

/ G1800 electrical ? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I bought a used (well used) G1800S mower that runs great. Only thing baffling me is the electronics. At times, the temp gauge works. Other times it does not. Same with the fuel gauge. I have had all harnesses apart and cleaned. Can not find problem. I do know that if I wiggle the wires leading to the combination box with the engine not running, I hear a ticking in the box. Also, occasionally I have something triggering my stop solenoid. I'll just be running along and the solenoid starts momentarily pulling in. Never enough to kill the engine, but I obviously have an electrical problem somewhere.
Anybody have any suggestions where to look? Previous owner disabled all safety switches. I will check their on the solenoid question, but the gauges have me baffled.

Merry Christmas.
David Martin

/ G1800 electrical ? #2  
David, I'm probably no help, but it just sounds to me like a bad connection; something in the wiring harness, battery connection, or ground that isn't clean and tight.

BirdSig.jpg

/ G1800 electrical ? #3  
hgdmartn,
There is no simple way to attack this problem. Troubleshooting intermittent electrical just takes time, and patience. (and peferably a service manual) If both guages are going out together, look for something in common with the two. A common ground. A common +12 at the fuse box.
If your having multiple issues. Start at the battery, and work your way to the components, verifying every connection is solid. I know that's not much help, but I've learned that all you need is time, patience, and an understanding of what your trying to do, and you'll get it.

Oh yeah, when it's really chewing on you, take a break. Get away from it and let your mind think about something else for a while. You'd be surprised the good that will do.

-Ben

zd18_21.gif

/ G1800 electrical ? #4  
David, on the gauge issue, pull the screen cover from under the console and you should see a fuse in there (inline if I remember right) turn the key to the on position and you should here the fuel pump running and dashlights and gauges should be powered. Wiggle and pull on that fuse and see if anything loses power. You mave have a bad intermittent connection at the fuse. Now for the solenoid, that sounds like your getting intermittent voltage to the solenoid which sounds like a bad connection at the box harness or your getting power shorting to the solenoid through two wires chaffed together.

/ G1800 electrical ? #5  
I had an inline fuse that looked fine through the glass but intermittingly dysfunctioned- must of been improperly sealed and moisture did it's thing over time.

RCH