Garage/outbuilding with vinyl siding

/ Garage/outbuilding with vinyl siding #1  

patrickg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4610HSTC
Esthetics require that I build a garage for my mom's new house that matches it in appearance. It has vinyl siding S O I suppose the garage will also. On the other hand I am not constrained by any particular code (just common sense and good sound engineering practice). Any suggestions on a cost effective building method for a two car garage (we kinda blew the budget on the house)? This building does not need to be finished inside or insulated. It doesn't have to have windows.

The requirements are:

1. slab floor, composition shingle roof (to match house) symetrically sloped both ways from center to match house.
2. Hold two full sized cars.
3. Automatic door opening (one large or two smaller doors)
4. People sized door for convenience.

I will have outlets and lights (electricity available very near.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Pole barn style, ferro-cement, tilt-up, whatever will conveniently accept vinyl siding and tratitional composition shingle roof.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Patrick

/ Garage/outbuilding with vinyl siding #2  
Patrick,

Not sure about your area, but around here all of the "lumber" stores have a basic garage packages in varying sizes. I am planning on putting up a double detached garage this year also and have been looking at them. Most around here include the lumber, plywood, shingles, man door, garage door, vinyl siding, and one or two windows. They also have "add-on kits" for soffit/facia/eaves. Up to you to have the foundation/slab concrete work done.

Definitely the most economical option in my area.

Kevin

/ Garage/outbuilding with vinyl siding #3  
Usually the lumber companies have garage kits. What you need to do is price them and get the materials list. THEN, call around and bid the individual materials, you may find you can get a better deal by "piecing out" the individual materials over buying the kit from one place. Believe it or not, they don't necessarily give the best deal on those package garages. One dealer may have a better price on 2x4's and another may have a better price on OSB. I've heard of people getting package barns and being short necessary materials (Trusses, siding, roofing, etc). AFTER you've priced the individual materials and figured out the CHEAPEST price you could build the garage for, go back to the yard you want to deal with and ask them if they can match that price on the individual componets (not on a package barn). You get the same thing, but they discount because you are buying such a large order. (Go figure). If the package still comes out being cheaper, okay. Just do it quick. Lumber prices can vary daily, package prices usually hold for a long time. (Which shows the markup on packages). When I was framing my house, the lumber was changing in price from one day to the next. The range on the material ran about 50% from high to low bid. (Mark up, man!) I wound up buying from several yards and saved about $500.00 from the lowest bid. Also, look at the quality of the materials they will be selling you. Sometimes its worth a little more to deal with a yard that has really nice lumber. One yard I dealt with sent a bunker of 2x6x8's with only one bad one. The other sent 2x6x14's and we had to return 3 out of 20.

SHF

/ Garage/outbuilding with vinyl siding #4  
Patrick,
as Kevin mentioned ... the garage packages from the local lumber yards are usually the best deal. Several years agi I wanted to build a 3rd garage for use as a work/woodshop. I looked at all the options and decided that since, at some point, I would want to insulate ... stick frame was superior to pole barn. I had a 32' x 24' pad put in for $2500 and then bough a complete 32x24 garage package - delivered - for just over $3000. Even got a refund on the garage door when I decided to modify.
It's up, insulated and gyproced and mostly taped ... and I'm very happy that I went that way. Vinyl siding fairtly closely matches the house and 2nd garage ... at least enough to noty look out of place ...

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Garage/outbuilding with vinyl siding
Thanks everyone for suggestions! I was blissfully ignorant of GARAGE KITS. Shopping tips on getting a good price sound nice. I want to use the EXACT same composition shingles and vinyl siding as the new house so unless a place is willing to trade those components I'm stuck buying pieces and parts rather than a kit (darn). I don't think there is any need to finish the inside of the garage or insulate it so any comments on alternative (read cheap) construction methods?

Patrick