Gas Caddy. No suck.

/ Gas Caddy. No suck. #1  

NCMau

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 202/Ford 8N
I have a fairly new 30 gal. caddy with manual rotary pump. If I don't use it for few days, I am not able to get the gas out. So I take the hose connector on top of the pump off, dump a spoon full of oil in the pump, and then she works.
Logic tells me that there a suction leak somewhere. I just can't see it. For all practical purpose, the pump is new.
Has anybody experienced this problem?
I suppose if I can't find a reason, I can always put a "T" on top of the pump with a plug for an oil squirt, when needed, but it would be nice to know why it is not working the way it should.
Ideas are welcome.

/ Gas Caddy. No suck. #2  
I bought one several years back and had the same problem. If I remember correctly one of the vanes in my pump actually broke.(they are a carbon fiber type material) I also had to use a lubricant to enable the pump to work correctly. I think I took mine apart and used a grease inside instead of oil.

I did find that replacing the small hose that they have with a larger fuel type hose made a world of difference in the way that it would pump.

You might be better off trying to find a small electric pump to use instead of that manual one. The pumps are just made extremly cheap.

/ Gas Caddy. No suck. #3  
We had one of these where I use to work, and anytime it wouldn"t pump, I would just take a can of WD-40, spray it in the end of the hose for about 5 seconds and then raise the hose all the way up, where it would drain into the pump. then just stick the hose into what u want to pump it into, and it never failed to work. zman:D

/ Gas Caddy. No suck.
Great advice. Thank you.

/ Gas Caddy. No suck. #5  
You might have a leak in the pick up line /IE suction tube.
I have a fairly new 30 gal. caddy with manual rotary pump. If I don't use it for few days, I am not able to get the gas out. So I take the hose connector on top of the pump off, dump a spoon full of oil in the pump, and then she works.
Logic tells me that there a suction leak somewhere. I just can't see it. For all practical purpose, the pump is new.
Has anybody experienced this problem?
I suppose if I can't find a reason, I can always put a "T" on top of the pump with a plug for an oil squirt, when needed, but it would be nice to know why it is not working the way it should.
Ideas are welcome.

/ Gas Caddy. No suck. #6  
I have played with a few of these roraty pumps.

For those that have threaded suction tubes, some thread lubricant or sealant usually fixes suction problems.

For the older sleeve or adjustable intake tubes, you will find that there is an O-ring that seals the tube sections where they slide in/out for adjustement. Make shure that there is no air loss at that slip joint!
Often cleaning and replacing the O-ring is all it takes.

My Caddy uses a el-cheepo $12 rotary pump and well sealed it is the perfect pump for my 20 gal caddy.