Oil & Fuel Gas in my Yanny

/ Gas in my Yanny #1  

SydKen

Tractor
YM3000
Hi guys,

I need some help. I have been out of town with my father who is ill. While I am gone my wife got one of the youth at church to come by and cut our grass. He got a good bit finished when she realized that he would run into problems if it ran out of diesel. To avoid any trouble she took him a can to fill it up with. Unfortunately she took him the GAS can instead of the DIESEL can.

I am going home tonight (7 hr drive) and will try to fix it this weekend. I am hoping this is not a terribly involved project because I have several other things that really need to be taken care of.

I need instructions on what to do. I was going to drain the tank, bowl and get a new fuel filter. What else do I need to do.

Thanks!

/ Gas in my Yanny #2  
Do everything that you said in your post. Drain the tank, replace the filter. I would open up the injector lines at the injectors and bleed them out. Tighten them up and crank the tractor. Did they run the tractor after putting the gas in there? I'm sure if they did it was for long. I wouldn't worry about it. Once upon a time my 96 Ford diesel got about 15 gallons of 87 octane put in it. It don't run so good after that you know. I siphoned it out and filled it with diesel and it was fine.

/ Gas in my Yanny
I hope so. I called a local dealer and he spoke of a possible engine rebuild. I am hoping he is giving me the worst case scenario.

/ Gas in my Yanny #4  
SydKen said:
I hope so. I called a local dealer and he spoke of a possible engine rebuild. I am hoping he is giving me the worst case scenario.

He probably was talking worst case. As another commented, if it was run using the gas/diesel mixture, it wasn't run very long.

My wife pulled the same deal with a VW diesel about 25 yrs ago. Pulled up to the pump and filled it from the wrong nozzle. She managed to get home with it, but draining the tank, purging the fuel system, and refilling with diesel took care of the problem.

I was worried about damage to the fuel pump, but we had no further problems with it until a few years later some guy ran a stop sign. No one injured, but the car was totalled.

/ Gas in my Yanny #5  
As long as it was not run for very long you should be alright. Gasoline has less lubricity than diesel and your fuel pump uses diesel as a lubricant for some of the parts and seals. So you might add some diesel conditioner to the tank for a few tanksfuls to counter any drying out of any parts or seals that could have happened.

/ Gas in my Yanny #6  
Give a good dose of clean fuel and she will be right as rain. Not a rare occurrence and in the short run not disastrous. I have had mechanics tell me that in the winter I should add about half a gallon of gasoline to a tank of diesel. The diesel here is not as "winterized" as it should be. I always us an additive, but have never added gasoline. Just could not do it.

Mike

/ Gas in my Yanny #7  
During very cold weather I always added a gallon of gas to my 100 gal fuel tanks,kept fuel from jelling, also used kerosene.

/ Gas in my Yanny
GOOD NEWS!! A friend who is a mechanic got to my tractor before I got home and drained the gas, injector lines and fuel bowl. Added fresh diesel, primed the injectors and she is running like a charm. Even got the rest of the grass cut before I got home.

There is nothing this side of heaven better than friends.

/ Gas in my Yanny #9  
SydKen said:
GOOD NEWS!! A friend who is a mechanic got to my tractor before I got home and drained the gas, injector lines and fuel bowl. Added fresh diesel, primed the injectors and she is running like a charm. Even got the rest of the grass cut before I got home.

There is nothing this side of heaven better than friends.

Good friends are nice to have yes?

k

/ Gas in my Yanny #10  
If the gas was mixed with diesel, you probably won't have a problem. Running it on straight gas would probably affect the injector pump first. I imported a YM1610 that had gas in it. I had to rebuild the injector pump, but other than that it ran fine.