Gasoline OK after 12 months.

/ Gasoline OK after 12 months. #11  
I mean really bad to the point it smells really funny, but it usually takes years for it to get that bad.

It took two years for the gas to go bad on my generator. I was getting a funny smell after trying to pull start it several times. I drained the fuel and it was yellow looking. Needless to say, it never started and the carb was gelled up. I friend works at my local Honda dealer and replaced the carb with no labor costs.

/ Gasoline OK after 12 months. #12  
I have had gas in machines that I forgot about for years...As long as the carb was emptied, they always start. They stink like no tomorrow once running, but never had an issue...I just add fresh gas and all is well.

/ Gasoline OK after 12 months.
If it had Stihl oil in the gasoline, it had stabilisers in it.

Good catch... yes, it did have Stihl oil in the mix.

/ Gasoline OK after 12 months. #16  
Can any one Help I just bought a small generator with a 5hp briggs engin it has ben sitting for 8 years most of the gas is gone but what is left is hard as a rock I tried small nuts in the tank shaking it and this helped but i need something to disolve the crud.

/ Gasoline OK after 12 months. #17  
Can any one Help I just bought a small generator with a 5hp briggs engin it has ben sitting for 8 years most of the gas is gone but what is left is hard as a rock I tried small nuts in the tank shaking it and this helped but i need something to disolve the crud.

I'd take the tank off and soak it in new gas for a week or so (outside) and repeat as needed. There are tank cleaners out there, but not sure how they would work based on what you are describing.

/ Gasoline OK after 12 months. #18  
I've read a lot about fuel going bad over time...

So far... I've been lucky not to have experienced it...

Here's a couple of examples...

I was clearing some downed trees in Olympia WA and had to leave unexpectedly... full tank of fuel sat 23 months in the Stihl saw and it fired right up... I was set to drain it and decided to try and start it... it started on the third pull... used all the fuel in the tank and kept going all day.

Brother has a 2006 SeaRay boat that was stored with full gasoline tank for 12 months and it fired right up yesterday and the family spent the day cruising Tahoe without incident.

Could it be that most problems people write about occur with rubber type gaskets and fuel lines mostly found in older equipment?

Over the years, I brought a lot of old cars back to life... the smell of what's left of 20, 30 or 40 year fuel is something I'll never forget... the saw and boat fuels didn't have that old fuel smell.

This is similar to the 15% ethonol thread from a few months ago. We seem to go in cycles every few months on this. Yea you may get lucky but over time it will catch up to you, it finaly has for me.

Like another guy said best practice for longterm storage of saw is to empty and run dry, shortterm several weeks or months i would store full to avoid condensation inside.

Your chainsaw gas may have been mixed with an oil that has a fuel stabilizer in it. Stihl brand oil has this to keep it good longer and my tcw3 oil from walmart for my boat says it has a stabilizer in it, i think its for the gas and not the oil.

/ Gasoline OK after 12 months. #19  
I have had gas in machines that I forgot about for years...As long as the carb was emptied, they always start. They stink like no tomorrow once running, but never had an issue...I just add fresh gas and all is well.

The carb on anything that sits will empty itself from evaporation around here in the heat in as little as a couple days. I dont care if its a lawnmower or truck carb. This is not the correct way as those little crystaline depoists can form in the bowl and then get lodged in your jets.