Gator 620i high range stripped?

/ Gator 620i high range stripped? #1  

blue83ranger

Tractor
multiple
I bought a very rough looking 2007 John Deere 620i gator at an auction and would like to fix a problem it has with the transmission. The hour meter isn't readable, and there is no issue at all, that I found with low, reverse, neutral, or using 4x4 or the rear dif lock in any gear. But in high range you can drive on flat ground slowly but if you accelerate to much, which is very easy to do or if you try to go up any grade of hill there is a popping sound and it feels like the transmission is slipping. It doesn't sound like a metal on metal pop unless it's in a well greased or oiled area of the transmission. At first I though it was the belt jumping/slipping but I put on a brand new gates belt and used a SOS pad to deglaze both clutches. It acted the exact same. I also tried to look up an online parts place to see what the issue could be, thinking maybe a chain was jumping, but they have the transmission broke up into so many pieces, under different titles I couldn't find any chain in there. All the rear cv joint boots are good and it's louder and a deeper pop than a bad cv joint. So, does anyone have any ideas on this? and thanks for any help. I tried to post this question on 3 different Gator specific sites but for some reason they won't let me post it.

/ Gator 620i high range stripped? #2  
Previous owner either tried to shift ranges while moving. Or they tried to shift into gear with the engine at too high of RPM’s which makes the transmission input shaft turn.
Total transmission tear down with new bearings and at least two new gears .

/ Gator 620i high range stripped?
That's disappointing to here. I figured I had to take the transmission apart after the belt didn't help. Well, I have some thinking to do about it, and see what kind of price on the parts will be. It would be an easier decision if it wasn't so beat up, and under a load the engine smokes a little. Thanks for the reply.

/ Gator 620i high range stripped? #4  
jdparts.com search for 620i and then go to power train and then click on transaxle reduction shaft rear axle and the parts that you will need are most likely item 3,12,and 14 with possible other parts.

/ Gator 620i high range stripped?
Pricey but I don't have much in it so far. I looked on ebay and I can buy a complete, used transmission for less, assuming it's actually a good transmission as listed. I'm still not real sure the best route to go with just using it low and selling it as options. Thanks for the help though.