Gator blades - continue side discharge or block it off for mulching?

/ Gator blades - continue side discharge or block it off for mulching? #1  

acohen100

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I remember reading somewhere that when people switched to Gator Blades they removed the side discharge chute and blocked off the discharge side so that the grass would circulate and mulch better. Is that right?

/ Gator blades - continue side discharge or block it off for mulching? #2  
I leave them open for the best job with no windrows.

/ Gator blades - continue side discharge or block it off for mulching? #3  
That was original intent of the gators, but it doesn't seem like most TBN'ers are doing that. I just got a set myself and plan to just slap them on and go. I sure as heck don't want to slow down and mulch...if you really want to mulch, you'd probably need to complete the picture with the mulching kit (baffles) as I don't think just blocking the outlet would give optimal results.

/ Gator blades - continue side discharge or block it off for mulching? #4  
acohen100 said:
I remember reading somewhere that when people switched to Gator Blades they removed the side discharge chute and blocked off the discharge side so that the grass would circulate and mulch better. Is that right?

I think most Lawn Tractor kits have a blockage part that comes with the kit, but I am sure I read somewhere in a piece of GB literature that said theirs did not need this additional appendage. I do not now, nor did with a previous mower.