GC1705 Air Filter

/ GC1705 Air Filter #11  
I also clean mine regularly. I had to evict mice on two occasions so probably a good thing I do.

Don't have a spare yet, still saving up for one though;)

/ GC1705 Air Filter #12  
I also clean mine regularly. I had to evict mice on two occasions so probably a good thing I do.

Don't have a spare yet, still saving up for one though;)

Many dealers in our area have early spring salrs on parts and materialx (fluids, oils, etc.)

In addition there is some dealers who have a 10% off sale in addition to a spring sale for filters of all tractor types. I bought a bunch of ecpendables last spring and this year an air filter will be on that list ad well.

/ GC1705 Air Filter #13  
I just blow mine out w' compressed air every time I grease the machine, or at the end of a dusty day. still running on the original filter 6 yrs later. that thing can get loaded easily in one day of dusty work. one clue is the amount of black smoke the machine belches at startup or under load, also a sluggish feeling on the throttle. best to blow it out at the end of the day so as not to let it sit too long full of dust, if the air gets moist the dust turns to dirt.

I've done this also... just have to be very careful not to use too much air pressure and blow a hole, even a small hole, in the paper and you comprise the filter and let dirt into your motor... not good.

I generally will only do this once or twice on a filter before replacing it and not use too high of air pressure. and always blow from the inside of the filter out so as not to drive the dirt into the filter.

/ GC1705 Air Filter #14  
I've done this also... just have to be very careful not to use too much air pressure and blow a hole, even a small hole, in the paper and you comprise the filter and let dirt into your motor... not good.

I generally will only do this once or twice on a filter before replacing it and not use too high of air pressure. and always blow from the inside of the filter out so as not to drive the dirt into the filter.

I guess everyone has their own set of operating conditions, but if I subscribed to your maintenance schedule it would cost me $1000.00/yr, or more, for air filters.

In 6 years that's probably enough $ to cover a snowblower, mower deck, and the better part of a 4' tiller. I use 100psi point blank on the filter, initially from the inside, but also lengthways along the outside after thoroughly working it from the inside, and then repeat, numerous times. never a hole, never an issue.

I still use synthetic oil in the crankcase and have no engine oil consumption issues whatsoever. The quick connectors for the FEL have leaked since day one, still leak after 6 trips to 2 separate dealers to have it repaired, but that's another story...:rolleyes:

/ GC1705 Air Filter #15  
I guess everyone has their own set of operating conditions, but if I subscribed to your maintenance schedule it would cost me $1000.00/yr, or more, for air filters.

In 6 years that's probably enough $ to cover a snowblower, mower deck, and the better part of a 4' tiller. I use 100psi point blank on the filter, initially from the inside, but also lengthways along the outside after thoroughly working it from the inside, and then repeat, numerous times. never a hole, never an issue.

I still use synthetic oil in the crankcase and have no engine oil consumption issues whatsoever. The quick connectors for the FEL have leaked since day one, still leak after 6 trips to 2 separate dealers to have it repaired, but that's another story...:rolleyes:

I think it somewhat depends on the quality of the air filter. My tractor filter is pretty high quality and could probably withstand more air pressure than say my lawn mower.. I don't use air on my tractor because I don't use it enough in a year to have it get that dirty.

Guys like yourself who do put lots of hours on probably are more inclined to use air to defray costs. I still wouldn't do it on a cheapy paper filter like in a car or some mowers. Some commercial mowers do have the same type filter as a tractor I've noticed.

I just know that most manuals do not recommend blowing any air filter and I bet you could ask 10 mechanics about using 100 PSI and they would all tell you don't do it.

Cleaning air filter | Widman International

Good or bad-clean air filter with compressed air? | Mechanical /Maintenance Forum | Bob Is The Oil Guy

/ GC1705 Air Filter #16  
I think it somewhat depends on the quality of the air filter. My tractor filter is pretty high quality and could probably withstand more air pressure than say my lawn mower.. I don't use air on my tractor because I don't use it enough in a year to have it get that dirty.

Guys like yourself who do put lots of hours on probably are more inclined to use air to defray costs. I still wouldn't do it on a cheapy paper filter like in a car or some mowers. Some commercial mowers do have the same type filter as a tractor I've noticed.

I just know that most manuals do not recommend blowing any air filter and I bet you could ask 10 mechanics about using 100 PSI and they would all tell you don't do it.

Cleaning air filter | Widman International

Good or bad-clean air filter with compressed air? | Mechanical /Maintenance Forum | Bob Is The Oil Guy

The inside diameter of that filter is fairly small, so the initial air blown from the inside is at a deflected angle rather than straight on.

I'm really not surprised to see a company that sells air filters putting together literature, however confusing, that suggests you should buy air filters more often.

I wonder how much a full overhaul kit for that little 3 banger costs? that might introduce some missing perspective here. I'm not saying don't ever buy a new air filter, and I think I may go get one next spring, but what is the sense in buying so many air filters that their cost dwarfs the price of a full rebuild? I did see one of those engines, used, online for $700.00.

All I know for sure is what works for me, and I believe blowing the filter out on a regular basis has already saved me a tidy sum of money. :)

/ GC1705 Air Filter #17  
yea that crap is expensive when i purchased mine i had them throw all the filters in on the deal.

/ GC1705 Air Filter #18  
Heres a company that will do it for you. http://www.efilters.com/frt.cfm I know (used to anyways, before the bottom dropped out of the coal industry) several OTR trucking companies that use these types of services. They even offered pickup/dropoff and onsite cleaning for the bigger customers.

/ GC1705 Air Filter #19  
What a great idea!