GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
Getting ready to perform my first service on my GC1705, and could use some clarification on a few of the hydraulic oil change procedures:

4.4.3-14: Clean the transmission suction filter screen in solvent or kerosene.
Q1: I don't have any kerosene or solvent around, and don't really want to keep those around. How necessary is this step, and what types of solvents work well for this? Looks like I do have a can of Finish Line Citrus Bio-Solvent, though not sure if this will work OK or leave a residue.

4.4.3-17: Apply sealant to the threads on drain plug(s) an install.
Q2: What type of sealant works well for this?

4.4.4-4: Wrap the threads of the drain plugs with sealing tape.
Q3: Are they referring to teflon tape or something different?

Q4: There is no mention of needing to warm up the tractor/transmission/hydraulic fluid before the oil change. Is this typically done?

Thanks!!!

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions #2  
1. No need to use solvent on the suction screen, it's not going to be dirty at this point. Wipe it clean if necessary, or better yet, use low pressure compressed air on it.

2. Any kind of pipe dope will work. Not using anything will work most of the time too. It's a tapered thread.

3. They are referring to Teflon tape. There is no seed to do this, especially if you use pipe dope on it. Most of the time, nothing will work fine. I would only use tape, if it doesn't seal properly.

4. Warm it up, don't warn it up. It's all the same. It will drain a little faster if it's warm, but the time you gain, you loose warming it up.

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions
Thanks!

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions #4  
I use starting fluid to clean mine. Starting fluid removes oils but does not leave any film. Warm it up. Not to make it flow better, but to pick up the small particles. When the oil move those particles suspend themselves in the oil. Otherwise, they stay on the bottom.

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions
Curious - should the level of hydraulic fluid in the sight glass be to the center or top?

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions #6  
Anywhere so that it's visible... but be careful about going"to the top" -- when totally full, I can't tell if the sight glass is empty or full! Usually stop somewhere between 1/2 & 2/3 so I can SEE the level.

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions #7  
Curious - should the level of hydraulic fluid in the sight glass be to the center or top?

It's not critical. As Irving said, pick a level that is easy to see.

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions #8  
I use starting fluid to clean mine. Starting fluid removes oils but does not leave any film. Warm it up. Not to make it flow better, but to pick up the small particles. When the oil move those particles suspend themselves in the oil. Otherwise, they stay on the bottom.

Would brake kleen or electronic kleen products have the same result as starting fluid or too harsh ?

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions #9  
Would brake kleen or electronic kleen products have the same result as starting fluid or too harsh ?

What do you think is going to happen??

It's a metal screen. You are not going to harm it with solvent.

/ GC1705 Hydraulic Fluid Change Questions #10  
Not on the metal screen. Starting fluid cleans much better in my opinion.