GC1715 Front axle drain question

/ GC1715 Front axle drain question #1  

Northstars

Tractor
Massey GC1715, ToroTitan HD ZT
I did my "after the first 50 hours" fluid changes yesterday on my 2018 MFGC1715. I changed the front axle oil per the manual. I am second guessing myself on how tight the drain plugs need to be put in.

I know that the 2 breather plugs (the ones on top of the final case) have a bit of thread showing, and I know that this is correct.
However, I am having a hard time remembering how much, if any, threads were showing on the drain plugs. I put on sealing tape per the manual and hand tightened. I then used a 14mm socket to snug it up. I have almost as much thread showing on the drain plugs as I have on the breather plugs.

I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind taking a picture of one of their drain plugs from the top so I can see how much thread is showing or just post their observation on how much thread is showing on their drain plugs in relation to how much is showing on their breather plugs.

Thanks and Happy Easter

/ GC1715 Front axle drain question #2  
Amount of thread showing has nothing to do with how tight.... If it is a tapered thread, yes use tape, tape is a lubricant (allows you to get plug tighter with less effort) and not a thread sealant... Tighten to amount you are comfortable with (one hand on short ratchet) If if does not leak you are golden if it seeps try about another 1/8 to 1/4 turn... Yes you can go to tight and maybe strip it, but you only need to be tight enough it does not leak.... Go lightly at first you can always come back later and apply more torque...

Dale

/ GC1715 Front axle drain question #3  
To add to Dales observations about tightness—be aware that an over tightened tapered pipe plug has a better chance of breaking the surrounding casting than stripping. As a matter of fact, I’ve never seen a metal pipe plug strip, but have cracked casting or twisted off the head of said plug. His advice to snug it up and observe is spot on-you can always give it a bit more torque if it leaks.

/ GC1715 Front axle drain question
Thanks for the information. I had tightened it pretty much as you have described but, perhaps a little tighter, after reading your post, I backed it out a little. I was only using a 3/8 inch standard ratchet so not a large leverage arm. I did use sealing tape because the manual calls for it.

For some reason I just had this picture in my mind that when I took it out, it was in quite a bit farther in. I was just hoping that if someone owned this model series they could double check theirs when they got the chance.

Thanks again