GC2410 BH vs Clay

/ GC2410 BH vs Clay #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Anyone have any ideas, trying to build a small pond under the willow tree but hit a snag. The soil is primarily clay which is good for pond, bad for Backhoe. Every scoop I get fills the bucket and I have to stop and chisel it out which is time consuming and lots of work. At this point it is faster to use a shovel :(. Tried adding a wire inside that should pull the clay out every time I extend the buck but it eather slices through like butter or brakes the wire.

/ GC2410 BH vs Clay #2  
If it's wet clay, there isn't much you can do about it sticking.

People spray the bucket with Pam, or use chain to make a sling that pulls it out. None of that worked well for me.

The excessive shaking, will add slop to your bushings in a hurry too.

If the weather permits, perhaps you can let the ground dry out?

Dry clay should not be a problem. Especially, if you rip it up, with the teeth first.

The bigger the bucket, the less it sticks. So, if you can get a machine there with a bigger bucket, you will have less trouble.

/ GC2410 BH vs Clay #3  
Anyone have any ideas, trying to build a small pond under the willow tree but hit a snag. The soil is primarily clay which is good for pond, bad for Backhoe. Every scoop I get fills the bucket and I have to stop and chisel it out which is time consuming and lots of work. At this point it is faster to use a shovel :(. Tried adding a wire inside that should pull the clay out every time I extend the buck but it eather slices through like butter or brakes the wire.

This is an idea applied from a different use. Your scoop bucket needs to become "slippery". I don't mean WD40 or PAM slippery . . I mean teflon type waxed slippery.

Clean your scoop bucket down to smooth surface . You don't need to scrape off paint . . But smooth as possible. No lumps and bumps of buildup . . . No tar or cement buildup.

Next - get a can or 2 of mower deck spray designed for spraying the underneath of mower decks. I use "no moe " but there are several. Tractor Supply or Fleet Farm or etc. etc. carry one or more brands. These sprays are not grease or oil based . . they are a molecular coating that is cheap and clear. Multiple layers of the spray actually are much preferred for bonding than a single thick layer of spray.

Spray the teeth and bucket with this clear coat and let dry. Spray again after its dried for several hours. Its clear. Don't spray any exposed piston surface but anything else is fine. Again let it dry for several hours. It will not dry greasy it will dry "slick".

At this point if you coated it well and allowed it to dry well . . You should have a very slick thin finish that would keep grass from sticking or building up. But you have wet clay . . so I'd do one further thing. Get a good quality car wax - I'd use a liquid creme not a paste wax base. When bucket with mower coating has dried for 24 hours . . I'd wax it . . thin coat and polish it off just like on a car. This creates a slippery tear liner effect.

Because a bucket is small . . None of the work steps takes long except the initial cleaning. Its the drying thats important.

Good luck.

/ GC2410 BH vs Clay #4  
I have heard that chain used as you are using the wire works. Ed

/ GC2410 BH vs Clay
I have heard that chain used as you are using the wire works. Ed

Thanks everyone, my final resolution was to pay a guy with an escavator $150 to do it. Escavator was already at my next door neigbors so it was cheep. Would have taken me 3 days to do what he did in 2 hours.

/ GC2410 BH vs Clay #6  
That's Ideal.

I have no qualms about renting an excavator, or a trencher, even though I own a backhoe.

Sometimes it's just much more effective.