Gear shift range selector stuck (on M4700)

/ Gear shift range selector stuck (on M4700) #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
This has happened twice since purchasing the M4700 used in 2013. Once in 2015, once yesterday, probably 50 operating hours in between.
Symptoms are it gets stuck in low range and with the clutch all the way in I can't shift to neutral.
When I bought it it had about 1400 hours on it and now it's close to 1500, but that may be based on PTO speed, thus I don't get to use it much. The clutch seems to have about the right free play (1.5") and there's no dragging or chattering.
m4700-gear selector.jpg
In the areas highlighted in yellow the parts seemed to be binding so I spray lubed the dickens out of them and most other parts and thankfully it worked.

The nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive on the trailer so that's not a good solution for me compared to a spray can of lube. But I'd like to fix it so I don't get stuck in the dirt repairing it

Since there are so many different parts that are adjustable does anyone have advice on where to start adjusting? I'm apprehensive about going at it willy-nilly.

I'm a one man shop with a bad back and it's a pain to strap down the clutch so I can try to shift from below, climb down, look at it, repeat, repeat, until I get it right.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

/ Gear shift range selector stuck (on M4700) #2  
I think you have it working but not 100% the way it is written.

I have a M6800 and think they are similar here and if so the hour meter does work of engine rpm speed to calculate an hour on the meter. To me better than an electric hour meter that has no idea how hard the engine was run. Just think put that on a car and drop off the odometer.

One thing that could be causing this issue is the seldom use. Some linkage needs to be used to keep it from rusting or corroding. Okay keep it lube and it will not, got that. Another thing I have found on my Kubota is the linkage is not happy with some chemicals on them, like fertilizer. If you use a whirly bird with it for fertilizer hard to get it fully clean and I have had linkage to get still, even frozen. Yes I do wash it offer very well but hard not to leave a trace some places. On my draft control try to move it about every time I use it for found it will get stuck if I don't move it more than I use it.

One other thought, when it sticks what kind of work have you been doing? Have you been straining it with pulling or pushing and maybe there is a load against the transmission when you stop? If you cut it off with a load against it that may be jamming it and how about the differential lock, were you using it right before or when it locked?

/ Gear shift range selector stuck (on M4700)
I think you have it working but not 100% the way it is written. <snip>
One other thought, when it sticks what kind of work have you been doing? Have you been straining it with pulling or pushing and maybe there is a load against the transmission when you stop? If you cut it off with a load against it that may be jamming it and how about the differential lock, were you using it right before or when it locked?
Had been doing light work moving stuff like empty IBC totes. Last time it jammed just after I drove it into the "garage". I have not used the differential lock.
Thanks for the quick reply, got to love TBN.