gear shifting!

/ gear shifting! #1  

dmark1975

Tractor
MF 165
Hey all,

The high- low gear shifter on mf 165 seems to stick periodically above the low gear selector range and gets stuck!! What's the procedure for fixing this problem. It doesn't happen much but is a right pain. Thanks in advance # waiting for new boroscope to arrive!

/ gear shifting! #2  
If you are in 4 wheel drive there is a torque build up as the front end leads the back by as much as 5% creating some binding.
In that case it is somewhat normal.

/ gear shifting! #3  
I had the same problem with my Kubota for the first 50 hours or so. I have right at 200 hrs now and it has smoothed out a lot. One solution - go in reverse for a few feet - that should free it up. It will loosen up with use.

/ gear shifting! #4  
I can't solve your puzzle, but 2 things are for sure:
1. It's not because you're stuck in 4wd, that not being an option on that model, and 2. That tractor can't be less than 40 years old, so things should be pretty well loosened up by now.

Seems like you have a bind somewhere in the transmission or drive line. There must be a way to further isolate/diagnose which component. Keep us posted and good luck.

/ gear shifting! #5  
Hey all,

The high- low gear shifter on mf 165 seems to stick periodically above the low gear selector range and gets stuck!! What's the procedure for fixing this problem. It doesn't happen much but is a right pain. Thanks in advance # waiting for new boroscope to arrive!

I can't remember for sure, but it seems like I read on big Deans web site when it was still active that if you have trouble shifting the high - low range lever and you have multi- power, shift to low multi-power, then change to either high or low. The hydraulic clutch exerts display in the internal shafts, and causes hard shifting. I don't have his CD's but someone that does may be able to confirm this. I can't guarantee this because I read this several years ago.

I found the website and found the hard shifting refered to the three speed shift lever, not the high - low. It may affect the high - low the same since he states it's a function of the overturning clutch on the drive train.

Last edited:
   / gear shifting! #6  

Attachments

• Web-Image-1-620x450.jpg
    Web-Image-1-620x450.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited: