Gehl 1850

/ Gehl 1850 #1  

fireman4074

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 231S
I am looking for information on where I might can find transmission for Gehl baler. Can these be overhauled? I was baling the other day and I noticed the area where my finger is started smoking and got real hot. All States Ag Parts did not have one. If it can be repaired, how do I get the clamp out
IMG_0047.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_5794.jpeg
IMG_5795.jpeg
IMG_5793.jpeg

/ Gehl 1850 #2  
You mean the snap ring, the thing with the two small holes? A set of external snap ring pliers if that is what you're asking
1692649944589.png

/ Gehl 1850
You mean the snap ring, the thing with the two small holes? A set of external snap ring pliers if that is what you're asking
View attachment 817241
I tried a pair of those but can’t get snap ring open wide enough to come over groove that it sits in.

/ Gehl 1850 #4  
Anything you can loosen to push the sprocket in or pull the shaft out enough to clear the flange on the sprocket? Get one end of the snap ring out of the groove far enough to get a small screwdriver between the ring and groove to walk the snap ring off.

/ Gehl 1850 #5  
The sprocket(s) are shot as well and probably the roller chain as well. Once the teeth start leaning over (like yours are) it's past time to replace. Pop the snap ring up and wedge a small screwdriver under it and finish removing it.

/ Gehl 1850
The sprocket(s) are shot as well and probably the roller chain as well. Once the teeth start leaning over (like yours are) it's past time to replace. Pop the snap ring up and wedge a small screwdriver under it and finish removing it.
So the sockets are ruined. What u mean teeth start leaning? I noticed grease coming from both seals today. I also notice as chain is rotating, it will jump like it’s a bad spot on chain. Chain did break and I put it back together before all this problem started.

/ Gehl 1850 #7  
The reason why the chain jumps is it's stretched to the point where it's no longer the correct length between rollers. The sprocket teeth need to be vertical at the tips, not leaning at all. Once they get a hook shape like yours, they are shot. That coupled with the stretched chain causes the chain to jump. Looks to me like you have Cornhead Grease in the gearbox as well. It should have gear oil not grease but then I suspect the seals were shot a long time ago and the previous owner put cornhead grease in the gearbox to mitigate the leaks, plus the cornhead grease looks like it has water in it too.

/ Gehl 1850
Well I guess that make sense because problem started after chain broke and I pieced it back together. I was cooling the piece where my finger is with water and when I opened the fill plug, water came out of the case. I’m guessing from seal when it got hot. I can’t get that snap ring off for nothing in world.