Generator question

/ Generator question #71  
Westinghouse is not chinese. Maybe the generators are made in china, but company is usa owned.
:confused3:

Westinghouse went bankrupt when they were working with Toshiba on the Vogtle plant in Geogria. The name was sold, to Brookfield business partners which is an off shore holding company. So nothing American about it

/ Generator question #72  
I have noticed CMP has some varying voltages/hertz lately.
It was that night the voltage numbers was going up and down, the last time I checked last fall my outlets were 119-120 and stayed that way. Guess electricity making is still a complicated science, cause some are still not sure if we should went DC instead of AC.

/ Generator question #73  
It was that night the voltage numbers was going up and down, the last time I checked last fall my outlets were 119-120 and stayed that way. Guess electricity making is still a complicated science, cause some are still not sure if we should went DC instead of AC.

There is no question in my mind, but I am a welder and former railroader.

The ironic thing is, while electricians get a lot of respect for "working with electricity", that is something they actually do very little of. All they do is hook wire A to Connection A in a junction box. Welders...like no one else...take electricity, work it, change it, manipulate it, to do what they need to do, to get work accomplished.

I work with both AC and DC, and know that we need both, but AC for the grid. Even Thomas Edison admitted at the end of his life that AC was the proper way to distribute electricity.

Things are just so different now though. Years ago the conversion from AC to DC was so inefficient that there was no argument on which was better 220 volt versus 120 volt, but now that digital controls are involved, the waters are getting muddied. A good inverter welder can really give the welder an ability to weld like never before.

/ Generator question #74  
I am doing a video today for my welding students for Long Distance Learning, and talking about why pulse welding is becoming so popular. The whole topic is about what I said above, taking electricity and manipulating it.

Pulse welding works so well on both thin and thick steel because as never before, we can take those electrical waves and manipulate it, chop those wave tops off so that it no longer looks like a wave, but rather like the top of a castle. We can then further refine that castle-top line down to short or long tops so we can control our arc...all at 40,000-100,000 times a second. We have never had that ability before, but now can with digital inverters.

It works on both thick and thin steel because if you chop 1/3 of the tops of the waves off those electrical pulses, you also chop 1/3 of your heat out of the weldment. There is still plenty of arc to enable fusion of the steel and filler wire, but all the unnecessary heat is taken away. Take the unnecessary heat away, and you take away warpage and undercut!

Of course there is no free lunch, it comes at a slight price. With that ability to control the electricity, it can get a welder into some hot water by getting their settings WAY off. Trying to rein that back in can be a pain when things get really whacko on you.

/ Generator question #75  
I am doing a video today for my welding students for Long Distance Learning, and talking about why pulse welding is becoming so popular. The whole topic is about what I said above, taking electricity and manipulating it.

Pulse welding works so well on both thin and thick steel because as never before, we can take those electrical waves and manipulate it, chop those wave tops off so that it no longer looks like a wave, but rather like the top of a castle. We can then further refine that castle-top line down to short or long tops so we can control our arc...all at 40,000-100,000 times a second. We have never had that ability before, but now can with digital inverters.

It works on both thick and thin steel because if you chop 1/3 of the tops of the waves off those electrical pulses, you also chop 1/3 of your heat out of the weldment. There is still plenty of arc to enable fusion of the steel and filler wire, but all the unnecessary heat is taken away. Take the unnecessary heat away, and you take away warpage and undercut!

Of course there is no free lunch, it comes at a slight price. With that ability to control the electricity, it can get a welder into some hot water by getting their settings WAY off. Trying to rein that back in can be a pain when things get really whacko on you.

Good stuff. I'm a Pulse/Twin Pulse guy. On twin pulse you can also adjust how wide the castles are and at what speed they change from the high side to the low ( controls heat as well ) and how many pulses per second. It's amazing what can be done with Mig in this level of equipment.

/ Generator question #76  
Plug in clocks,,,,,,,,,,,, who still has plug-in clocks, the only one I have are on the gas cook stove and my wife unplugs it every night. 50hz 60hz, there is no hz reading on my multi meter, I havent got HZ clue of what the HZ thats all about, if I get 120 volt reading on my muti meter then thats all the HZs I'm gonna worry about. I never heard all this hz stuff 40 years ago, I am going hz crazy, I heard that..........

POLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't even understand HZ now poles. I think the next generator I buy will be from HD, I'll bring it home, fire it up check for 119-120 volts, plug my micro and coffee maker in it and if I get coffee just like from the power company, it's a keeper, if not back to no hassle return HD it goes then on to the next brand.
Reads like you need to hire an electrician.

I am doing a video today for my welding students for Long Distance Learning, and talking about why pulse welding is becoming so popular. The whole topic is about what I said above, taking electricity and manipulating it.<snip>
How much does your course cost?
Could oldpath sign up? :)

/ Generator question #77  

Naaaa...no need, that is what we have this forum for. (LOL)

If a person has not had to manipulate electricity, then I do not expect them to know all the details of it.

As an example, I do not know a lot about computers, I do know when I push the X key, it is actually so many I's, and so many o's in digital code, but I do not need to know how the computer works to do that. It is the same with electricity.

/ Generator question #78  
Reads like you need to hire an electrician.

Yes that would help but if my generator put out 118-120 volts instead of 114 that would solve most of my electrical problems when power goes out.

After 40 years of welding I'm not signing up for anymore welding, in three years I'm done. Most of my welding now is machine welding, I like making the machine do the work.