Generic Seal Kits

/ Generic Seal Kits #1  

Dwellonroof

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3046r
Will any seal kit work on Terramite backhoe cylinders? I have 1 1/4" rod and 2 1/2" bore but $50 plus seems quite high to me considering.?

/ Generic Seal Kits #2  
Any seal kit? A seal kit, generic or OEM is made up of parts specific to that cylinder. Terramite does not make the seal kit, so you could say they are generic.

You can take the cylinder apart and match up the seals.

$50. btw is quite reasonable.

/ Generic Seal Kits #3  
You probably won’t get much cheaper than $50 for the whole kit but I typically take the disassembled cylinder to the hydraulic shop and have them match up the seals instead of messing with trying to find kits.

/ Generic Seal Kits
After researching it further I guess $50 or so isn't bad.

/ Generic Seal Kits #5  
You probably won’t get much cheaper than $50 for the whole kit but I typically take the disassembled cylinder to the hydraulic shop and have them match up the seals instead of messing with trying to find kits.
It's worth looking around to find a decent hydraulic shop. Just like good mechanical shops, auto machine shops, welding....etc., the best ones here don't advertise. I found the hydraulic shop by asking the local JD dealer.

/ Generic Seal Kits #6  
……………… the best ones here don't advertise. I found the hydraulic shop by asking the local JD dealer.
Yep, haven’t advertised in over 30 years. Just crossed over 45 in business and we are still slammed with work.

/ Generic Seal Kits #7  
Any seal kit? A seal kit, generic or OEM is made up of parts specific to that cylinder. Terramite does not make the seal kit, so you could say they are generic.

You can take the cylinder apart and match up the seals.

$50. btw is quite reasonable.
There are a lot of non-metallic components inside a cylinder that may not need replacing. A kit sold by an equipment maker may have all those parts. JD cyl kits I have bought even had parts for several different models of their cylinders, so some parts are "extra".

A few months ago, I was stunned to find that Kubota still sold a kit for an older FEL on a B8200 tractor. They wanted $200 for it!

The 3 seals for the Kubota cylinders were kinda spendy, even from Hercules...about $50 per cyl. So $50 is about as good as it gets, unless you buy Chinese equipment (I mean that in a good way.)

Do you really need to replace the rub rings if they are in good shape?

/ Generic Seal Kits #8  
Will any seal kit work on Terramite backhoe cylinders? I have 1 1/4" rod and 2 1/2" bore but $50 plus seems quite high to me considering.?
50 bucks is cheap. You may search and find $49.99 somewhere, but $50.00 is as good as I'd ever expect. I've rebuilt thousands of cylinders.

/ Generic Seal Kits #9  
There are a lot of non-metallic components inside a cylinder that may not need replacing. A kit sold by an equipment maker may have all those parts. JD cyl kits I have bought even had parts for several different models of their cylinders, so some parts are "extra".

A few months ago, I was stunned to find that Kubota still sold a kit for an older FEL on a B8200 tractor. They wanted $200 for it!

The 3 seals for the Kubota cylinders were kinda spendy, even from Hercules...about $50 per cyl. So $50 is about as good as it gets, unless you buy Chinese equipment (I mean that in a good way.)

Do you really need to replace the rub rings if they are in good shape?
If they look good, no. Sometimes I don't if I don't get a new one.