Getting Oil Out of Engine

/ Getting Oil Out of Engine #11  
Tried to get drain plug out of old JD 950, but the head is rounded off and plug seems really seized.

Has anyone tried to drain oil from an engine by siphoning or pumping it out? I had a car mechanic (MB Dealer) that told me they vacuumed the oil via dip stick tube.

The box wrench (19mm) and socket both continued to round off the head and I could not get vice-grips on tight enough.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

vise grips suck for that type of work.

Try some GOOD channel locks or a smaller pipe wrench on it.
If its rounded with a 12 point tool, and if theres room and angle to get a good sqeeze the V Jawed channelocks should work. I like the V Jaw ViseGrips ... Weldingsupply.com (10LW $11.64)

Put em on as tight as you can manage, apply about 80 ftlb torque, and rap the business end [jaw] smartly with a 16oz hammer.
larry

/ Getting Oil Out of Engine
My wife had plans for Memorial Day weekend, but I got back to my problem this morning.

I purchased a Craftsman 5-PC Bolt-Out Plus (Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover Set). I picked this up at an Ace Hardware (they carry Craftsman now) for $21.95. Part 52061.

I used my 1/2 inch breaker bar and with only a little torque, the lug cam loose like a charm. Thanks for this suggestion. I think this set is going to be a very, very welcomed and useful addition to my tools.

Thanks for all the suggestions, which I am sure will come in handy in the future.

/ Getting Oil Out of Engine #13  
Now that you have the bolt out you can weld a nut to it. My suggestion would be to get a large enough nut so you can weld the nut to the bolt from the inside so you don't mess up the outside of the nut. Just make sure to remove the gasket, if it has one before welding it.