Glow Plug Change

/ Glow Plug Change #1  

Erik Graham

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2630,Ford NAA, Kubota L2550GST
Greetings;

I am going to install a new set of glow plugs in my older B7100 tomorrow. I think they are likely the orginal set and even on a summer morning have to be left on for over a minute to get liftoff. I know my way around a gas engine but am a complete newbie when it comes to diesels. Is there anything that isn't obvious I should be aware of?

Cheers, Erik

/ Glow Plug Change #2  
Erik Graham said:
Greetings;

I am going to install a new set of glow plugs in my older B7100 tomorrow. I think they are likely the orginal set and even on a summer morning have to be left on for over a minute to get liftoff. I know my way around a gas engine but am a complete newbie when it comes to diesels. Is there anything that isn't obvious I should be aware of?

Cheers, Erik

Not really...

I'm sure those old glow plugs will be pretty carboned up and the threads might be tight, so it wouldn't hurt to spray them down with penetrating oil a day before you do the swap.
I'd also suggest using an anti-seize compound on the glow plug threads when you install them.

/ Glow Plug Change #3  
now this may sound silly but i have seen it done, with the new glow plugs dont heat them for as long. had a guy with old glow plugs which needed to be heated for a minute to start the engine fit new ones and kept on heating them for the same time. a week later he was in wanting warranty on the new plugs because he had over heated them and blown them.

/ Glow Plug Change #4  
As long as you can get it running, let it run a few minutes till it warms up. Glow plugs like spark plugs come out easier if the engine is warm. Shouldn't need to worry about anything else other than make sure there is no 12V power on them when you unhook the wire. I also use never sieze on the threads of the new ones.