Glow Plugs ?

/ Glow Plugs ?
RickB, the Montana manuals for the UTB Made machines are translated from Romanian (poorly). These manuals are cryptic at best, using english words that Ive never seen used in the context they're applied to...its quite funny in some cases. Additionally, theyre not actually a printed manual, they are photocopied pages bound with a Printed cover. So...10% is not readable due to fade, and 80% of the illustrations are just a mass of Blurred Gray and black...hard to deciper what your looking at. They may have been well written /Edited in Romanian but definitley not when they got Translated :)

Sorry if you find this posts irritating, if I had the information in a readable manual I wouldnt have asked.

My Tractor Starts well enough in the cold temps, I merely looking to understand if I have glow plugs, getting to know my tractor a bit better.

/ Glow Plugs ?
But does the operators manual tell you about the injector pump cold start device?

kenstrac, whats this cold start pump of which you speak, where to find it and how to operate it. The I dont see it referenced in my cryptic manual

/ Glow Plugs ? #13  
kenstrac, whats this cold start pump of which you speak, where to find it and how to operate it. The I dont see it referenced in my cryptic manual

See if yours has this follow the diesel shut off rod back to the inj. pump you will see that the rod splits and comes back together,in that split there is a button that sticks up about the size of a nickle that is another cold start aid.
Watch the button and push the fuel shut off lever forward you will feel resistance and the button will move this allows more fuel on start up.

/ Glow Plugs ? #15  
My John Deere 3320 manual SAYS it has glow plugs, but quite a while back someone told me that they are not "real" glow plugs in that they don't sit inside the cylinder, but are inside the intake manifold instead - or something similar to that.

Does anyone here know how the JD 3320 glow plugs are set up?

Also, the manual says to run them for 10 seconds before starting, and then to continue to keep the glow plugs on after its started until it is running smooth. (1) Does it harm anything to have them on for 20-30 seconds before starting - on really cold days? and (2) I've never kept them on as the engine warmed. Does that add much wear? - either to the glow plugs having them on, or to the engine when not having them on?

Thanks,

Ken