glow plugs

/ glow plugs #1  

bvanek

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7260, Kioti DK40SE
it seems my glow plugs aren't working on dk40SE. 2012 edition Will a bad relay cause this?

/ glow plugs #2  
Could... not familiar with your tractor. Is there a self timing circuit for how long the glow plugs remain on? If so, a relay would be involved for sure.

Have you checked: Voltage at the glow plugs? Glow plug resistance?

/ glow plugs #3  
Have you checked the service manual for your tractor? Most can be found online, either for free if you're lucky or at a small cost.

/ glow plugs #4  
Could be many causes.
Grounds
Plugs
Switch
Timer/relay
Trouble shooting sequence would be to determine if 12 volts is getting to the plug buss bar.
Then, if so, determine if plugs get warm/hot. (should be warm to fingers)
For individual plug test, disconnect the buss bar and resistance on each should be very low ohms (like 10 ohms ea or less) Ohms = OK
Ignition switch is another very likely suspect, check volts in/out.
Then comes the plug relay/timer, Power in/out?

If all else fails, (using a jumper from battery pos) 12 volts directly to the plug buss for 5-10 seconds should heat them up for a good start.

/ glow plugs
thanks , I am in the early stages of diagnosing as this just happened abruptly a couple days ago. The dash plug indicator light does come on and goes off like it would normally. My tester is broken so I will have to get another. Starts fine after warmed up.....it does start cold but chokes and gags for awhile until warm. Temp outside has been around 32-34 deg.(F) in am.

/ glow plugs
got my new tester...getting 11.67 volts to buss bar (checked at 3rd plug down on buss bar)...have yet to pull off the buss bar to check individual resistance, but decided to check OHMS and got .5 from I presume might be an average of all 4?......It seems funny that I may have had the plugs go bad at once...but maybe it was a progression that started taking them out one by one?
Is there a good technique for removing them....on my last tractor I broke one and it was a pain getting it out.

/ glow plugs #7  
With a measured resistance of 0.5 ohms and 11.67 volts, the draw has to be 23 amps... sounds reasonable. (this means the plugs are producing 270 watts of heat).

Are you sure the glow plugs are not working? I would expect you could feel them to be warm after they do their thing. Not sure you can get your fingers in there to find out.

Could there be some other problem with cold starts?

I was trying to find the spec on these glow plugs but have had no luck.