GMC dual battery option

/ GMC dual battery option #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
I have a 2008 Chevy 3500 with the factory dual battery option.
Can I remove one of the batteries to use for something else?
I really don't require dual bats in the truck.
Anything I have to watch out for, which one to remove, what to do with cables, etc??

/ GMC dual battery option #2  
I removed 1 battery for a summer to use im a tractor with no problems from a 99 ford power stroke.

/ GMC dual battery option #3  
I have a 2008 Chevy 3500 with the factory dual battery option.
Can I remove one of the batteries to use for something else?
I really don't require dual bats in the truck.
Anything I have to watch out for, which one to remove, what to do with cables, etc??

couple questions
What type engine?
Was the dual battery for towing or a plow / winch package?
do you tow?

tom

/ GMC dual battery option #4  
If you have the Duramax than I definitely wouldn't. But you say you have the "option" on your truck which I would figure based on that that you have a gas engine. If that's the case than you should be fine, depending on your use of the truck as mentioned above.

/ GMC dual battery option #5  
Sorry to be blunt but why mess with your $35,000 trucks electrical system over a $50 battery????? Kind of like walking over a dollar to pick up a penny. Not being rude, I am as cheap and frugal as they come, but some things I have learned just do not pay and will cost you more in the long run.

Chris

/ GMC dual battery option
couple questions
What type engine?
Was the dual battery for towing or a plow / winch package?
do you tow?

tom
The truck is a gas 6 liter. The dual battery was a separate option. The truck also has a plow package option. As of now I don't have a plow for it and do not tow.

I just figured that since I don't need the two batteries it's a waste to leave both in place and what do I do when one goes bad, replace both of them?

I could find use for the 2nd battery in a Corvette that I drive ocasionally.

/ GMC dual battery option #7  
The truck is a gas 6 liter. The dual battery was a separate option. The truck also has a plow package option. As of now I don't have a plow for it and do not tow.

I just figured that since I don't need the two batteries it's a waste to leave both in place and what do I do when one goes bad, replace both of them?

I could find use for the 2nd battery in a Corvette that I drive ocasionally.

I see no problem as they are wired in parralel, but do a real good job of covering that positive terminal. I do agree with DP though, I don't know that it is worth it.

/ GMC dual battery option #8  
I see no problem as they are wired in parralel, but do a real good job of covering that positive terminal. I do agree with DP though, I don't know that it is worth it.

I believe the second battery is to help with cold weather starting. You will probably get shorter battery life and some extra strain on the starter which might shorten its life.