Going down the Apple Worm Hole

/ Going down the Apple Worm Hole #31  
Spent close to 40 years there myself (Goffstown), moved to the north country in the early 00s and never looked back. The few times I'm down that way (mostly taking the wife to/from the airport) I hardly recognize the area anymore.
I used to work across from the alternate take off strip, when it was still quiet and called Grenier airport

/ Going down the Apple Worm Hole #32  
They produce a lot of apples some years and not so much other years.
Weather will have some bearing, as well as your pruning habits. It could also be a quirk of whatever variety you have, and some are biennial, meaning they will only produce well every other year.

Then again I've planted a dozen or more older varieties over the last 15 years and they seem to be none-ennial.

/ Going down the Apple Worm Hole #33  
I have Honeycrisp, gala, Fuji, and yellow delicious, which is good for pie making and desserts.

I always dig a big hole and line it with 1 Inch chicken wire for gopher protection, then plant tree and erect deer fence around the tree until it gets big enough to survive the deer attack that will surely come.

neighbors around here, continually feed deer and squirrels, and they are not afraid of people or most dogs, including mine.
I used to let the kids in the neighborhood pick any fruit they wanted, but those kids are grown and gone now, and replacement kids are on their screens, and seldom come outside.

/ Going down the Apple Worm Hole #34  
I used to work across from the alternate take off strip, when it was still quiet and called Grenier airport
As did I. The airport and surrounding industrial park is almost unrecognizable today, both on the Brown Ave. side as well as S. Willow St.

/ Going down the Apple Worm Hole #35  
In my area, many decades ago was all apple orchards. I have 6 or so VERY mature trees. Don't know the type, some years they produce sweet enough apples to eat as I pass by with my tractor. Plenty of deer in the area, but never see them picking. They stick to drops. Turkeys compete for the drops too. Bears will come by occasionally and eat until the puke.
All trees are hollow in the main trunk. I started pruning once we built house. Sure that effected the yearly sweetness to some degree. One tree is so tall/wide, I can't prune. Has tons of apples every year, but again, sweetness varies.
Question on wire wrap, wouldn't that restrict root growth?
Going to plant some blueberry bushes this year.

/ Going down the Apple Worm Hole #36  
Roots grow right through the wire netting at firs, by the time they grow big enough, the netting has rusted away due to constant underground moisture, and by that time, the tree can withstand a bit of gopher damage.

I do not do this for blueberries or raspberries. . Never had A gopher problem there

/ Going down the Apple Worm Hole #37  
Roots grow right through the wire netting at firs, by the time they grow big enough, the netting has rusted away due to constant underground moisture, and by that time, the tree can withstand a bit of gopher damage.

I do not do this for blueberries or raspberries. . Never had A gopher problem there
Rattlesnakes solve the gopher problem too.