going off the deep end maybe...first time making hay

/ going off the deep end maybe...first time making hay #11  
A 479 is allot of haybine for a 22 horse tractor. I ran the same bine off of my 53 horse JD and for the weight of the tractor wouldnt want to run it on anything much smaller. We had lots of breakdowns though and finally bought a Krone disc mower ( no rollers just a mower). It does similar to a sickle mower in that the hay is not conditioned but just cut and laid down. Cutting hay is super fast with this. Here in Michigan because of the weather this year most of us were really late on our first cutting. I had hay taller than the hood of the tractor but was able to cut in third gear - without any breakdowns- and got it off in good shape. Our Amish neighbors use a sickle mower and put up some fine hay - their stock doesnt seem to do poorly on it at all. They do use an inverter some times.

/ going off the deep end maybe...first time making hay #12  
Skip the sickle and the flail. In your moist environment and short time frames, you need a haybine to crimp it soon as its cut. You can get reliable good running 7' machines for $1200-$2000. Look for wear at the wobble boxes and the condition of the rollers- no big cracks, splits or chunks. they will all cause wrapping of the hay when it goes through the rollers rather than passing out the rear.

You will easily reduce dry time by one day (and extra tractor fuel trying to ted it to dry) by crimping it while cutting.

Why anyone would want to cut with a sickle, then hit it with a conditioner in a second pass is beyond me. Maybe you have plenty of time on your hands..... :confused3:

His tractor don't have enough balls.

/ going off the deep end maybe...first time making hay
you can send me donations for the haybine, most appreciated!