Going to build a Rod Box Suggestions

/ Going to build a Rod Box Suggestions #11  
I have very good luck with Hobart's 335A 6011.

Lincolns 6011 has worked great for me. But I've been wondering about Hobarts rod. I may pick me up a 25lb box at tractor supply as it's $25.00 cheaper than buying the same lincoln brand in the same amount getting 5lbs at a time at home depot.

And I've started going through a 5lb box in a day of welding. Then I have to stop my project until I can get some more rod.

Chad

/ Going to build a Rod Box Suggestions #12  
Lincolns 6011 has worked great for me. But I've been wondering about Hobarts rod. I may pick me up a 25lb box at tractor supply as it's $25.00 cheaper than buying the same lincoln brand in the same amount getting 5lbs at a time at home depot.

And I've started going through a 5lb box in a day of welding. Then I have to stop my project until I can get some more rod.

Chad

Make sure you get the 335A! Someone here couldn't get the 335A, got another Hobart 6011, and didn't like it at all. The 335A is so easy to run, even I don't have too much trouble with it!:laughing:

/ Going to build a Rod Box Suggestions #13  
There's a 335C also, can't remember the difference off hand.

/ Going to build a Rod Box Suggestions #14  
Here's how mine turned out. There isn't 1/8" between the end of the stick and the glass. It would really have been better if it were an inch deeper and tall/narrow instead of short/wide. I'm sitting here toying with the idea of installing hinges on the long side and standing it up. --Ian

attachment.php

Attachments

• rod box.jpg
    rod box.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3,894
   / Going to build a Rod Box Suggestions #15  
I'm building one out of an 8 bottle wine chiller. It's exactly deep enough for a 14" stick. Instead of a bulb, I'm installing one of those "Golden Rod" dehumidifiers that are sold for gun safes. It's not an oven as such, more like humidity controlled storage. --Ian

attachment.php

You mentioned the golden rod dehumidifier for the gun safe, is that the same thing they use in a piano to keep the moisture in control if your piano is in a draft or maybe exposed to moisture? Our piano didn't need a heat rod but the music store told us about them just in case. Don't seem like they were very expensive. I have got a five gallon drinking water cooler [igloo, type used on the job], that has a leak and I saved it for the purpose of making a rod box heater if it is long enough. Those new 26 volt screw in type bulbs that are intended to replace the 100 watt bulbs seems to get pretty warm when they are turned on for a while seems like that would work.

/ Going to build a Rod Box Suggestions
Here's how mine turned out. There isn't 1/8" between the end of the stick and the glass. It would really have been better if it were an inch deeper and tall/narrow instead of short/wide. I'm sitting here toying with the idea of installing hinges on the long side and standing it up. --Ian

Does the rod taste any better after its been micro waved?? :laughing::thumbsup:
Bet its still hard to chew. :D

/ Going to build a Rod Box Suggestions #17  
I'm probably going to scrap that box. It's too bulky and takes up too much valuable bench space. The only thing in there that requires some kind of humidity control is that half pound of 7018 anyway. When that's gone, I'll just stick to 6011 and 7014.