Good or bad utility tractor models

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #12  
I'm retired and spending 70 grand on a new tractor is nuts. I'm looking for the five year old one that is half price.

Unless it has lots of hard to fix problems, I don't think you will find a 5 y.o. tractor for 1/2 price. Or did you mean your budget is $35,000?

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #13  
Unless it has lots of hard to fix problems, I don't think you will find a 5 y.o. tractor for 1/2 price. Or did you mean your budget is $35,000?

you're right, should have said ten years and lower hours.

Like most of us, I have a beer budget and champagne tastes, though when I first saw the 5 series JD it just looked right to me.
Besides, 2005-2012? avoids Tier V
While the latest and greatest is fly by wire and joysticks in the custom armrest, geez break something in that apparatus and good luck fixing it yourself.
So your tractor goes down for weeks waiting to get it back.
Sometimes simpler is better, and I'm not a mechanic.

what I don't understand are the trans choices and what comes next after hydrostatic.
PowrReverser. Reminds me of Jeep 4wd where you used to have three different 4wd options to choose from on some models.
They all work but what is easiest? Lowest effort?

I would think most manual transmissions are pretty bulletproof.
But I'd sure want something easier to use than clutching and twin sticks.
Actually what I'd like is CVT but I can't afford it. And would you want an early adopter model
even if you can finally afford it? I think CIH offered CVT/IVT lower down in the hp range.

So what's the best trans choice for the OP, and maybe me someday?
particularly if one bought an older M 5 series.

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #14  
read all the threads Brett. That fluid swap deal on delivery is a jaw dropper.
Talk about a let down. You think you are going first class with Green and...

For the uses I give it, I'm glad I bought my Kubota. It drives like a modern car.
My Massey drives like a 1960's Jeep. But i've wanted to move up into something heavier now that I'm doing some tillage for an old farmer neighbor whose
tractor is expiring, as he seems close to... My Massey will pull a 1200 pound disc harrow (LP DH2596) but it's a struggle for traction with only 2wd.
I'd love to find a used JD 5 series with 4wd, and I'm seeing a lot of Indian built tractors like my Massey, just a little bigger.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but would a 5E series used be a good deal due to perhaps some poor opinions,
assuming all the problems, brakes, whatever, are fixable permanently? Meaning a new better part, not just replacing badly designed parts under warranty.

I owned a Audi 5000 when the automatics had the unintended acceleration issue which utterly wrecked the market value of the cars.
But I owned the unusual manual trans model, no problems there...but the market value tanked too on a perfectly good car.
Any such high value JD's out there?

For sophistication and ease of use, I'm not sure you can beat Kubota. But if you want more weight under you, most have looked elsewhere.
Big Massey and NH presence in this area so that is an option for me also.
And then there's always the question, on my almost totally flat land, bigger heavier potentially cheaper 2wd or smaller 4wd for same money?
I'm retired and spending 70 grand on a new tractor is nuts. I'm looking for the five year old one that is half price.
But like the OP, I don't want the turkey model either.
The real question is, if they have some inherent problems, can they be fixed cost effectively and permanently?
I always expect to make some repairs on used equipment.

I think the heart of the 5e are great tractors. I just had bad luck. They actually have a fix out now for the brakes. I would recommend one for your uses. It'll pull that disc much easier then your Massey with the front wheels pulling too. Get the 12/12 PR tranny though.

Brett

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #15  
I have a 2005 JD 5103 as you can see in my profile pic. Have around 450hrs, been a great tractor. I use it mainly for bush hogging with 286 model bush hog and dicing. Occasionally some box blade/scraper blade work. Only one issue around 2010, hydraulics got stuck. Dealer fixed it. Otherwise a good machine.

/ Good or bad utility tractor models #16  
The 5x10-20-25 series were all good tractors. IIRC - the biggest issue with the 10's and 20's was a problem with the fuel system. Fuel lines cracking, air leaks and a reto-fit from Deere with an electric lift pump to avoid engine stall when tank was down to 1/3 - 1/4 full.

Other than that, they're a solid tractor worthy of a look-over.