Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #11  
The Karcher electric I had was junk, as was a small gas one from WalMart. I now have a 2500 psi model from Lowe's with a Briggs engine and it does a good job. None of the homeowner models is anything like a pro unit. They just don't put out the flow. I had a skid mount 3000 psi electric for 11 or 12 years with a 220V electric motor and propane heat. I ran it about 10 to 12 hours a week, every week during that time. 1 new pump and new packings, valves, and bypass valve every year or so was all I ever had done to it. I sold it well used for more than the new box store 2500 psi model cost. I still miss it when I need a pressure washer, but it wasn't very portable.

Eddie's right on being carefull with it. You can force water into places you sure don't want it. Put a dirt buster rotary nozzle on it and you can take off paint:eek: down to bare metal if you aren't very careful.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #12  
Ive had no luck with Karchers. Parts are expensive, and hoses / wands arent interchangable with other brands without adapters.

Look for a washer with a Cat or Comet pump. At least 2500 Psi. Get the most GPM and PSI you can afford. Dont underestimate the value of GPM. Hot water is the best, but its likely out of your price range.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #13  
Hey, DIESEL, I had that exact unit given to me a couple of years ago. See
photo.

I had a cheapo HF 1300psi electric one that worked OK for my ocassional
use cleaning equipment, as well as my asphalt pavement. When I got
the Karcher, I sold the HF electric. The Karcher was MUCH more powerful,
which means you can cause some serious damage if you are not careful.
After using it a few times, I missed my old electric unit because the gas-
powered machine was LOUD, and walked around with the vibration. It
also runs all the time; an electric unit turns on only when you pull the
trigger.

So, I sold it and bought the best HF electric PW. This one is 1800psi, less
than $100, and I love it.

Attachments

• PW_1.jpg
    PW_1.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 148
   / Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #15  
I also have a Karcher 2400 5hp honda powered pressure washer. It worked very well for a few years. This year it is displaying symptoms that were not discussed at all in the Karchner manual but I found out from googling are related to a malfunctioning pressure diverter valve. This is a common failure item on pressure washers but for some odd reason Karcher hides all mention of this component in their consumer documentation. It would be a simple task to replace but Karcher will not sell parts to customers so you need to go to one of their service centers. Estimated cost to fix it there is between $75 and $250 depending on the state of the housing. Karcher has NO phone based customer support only an online system. Two messages have been unanswered for the past two weeks.

I liked the washer when it was working and at $400 from Costco it was a good deal (apparently much cheaper than in Europe) but the service policies are very bad and maintenance is expensive. I'm going to pull it apart myself and see if I can get a third party replacement valve.

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #16  
Bought one of the box store gas powered units (forget the brand) about 5 yrs ago. Used it once or twice in the fall, let a friend borrow for a weekend then put it up for the winter. The next spring I fired it up to use and nothing, no pressure at all. Ended up taking the pump apart to find the impellor was nothing but a glob of aluminum. Apparently my "friend" had used concrete washer in it but failed to flush it out. I never knew this stuff was so corrosive. Well, long story short, I replaced the standard pump with one I bought online (the replacement from the mfr cost twice of what the whole thing did new!). That was 5 yrs ago and it still runs like a top. It has a 5hp Honda. If you DO use the siphon tube with cleaning chemicals, remember to FLUSH it after every use!!! (I threw about 3 gal of cleaners away so I won't be tempted to use them at all)

/ Good pressure washer for cleaning equipment. #17  
I bought mine from Nortern tools. 6HP Honda, 3000psi, 3gpm. Somebody asked why not electric. For me I use mine out at my property alot to clean the water tanks for my horses and electricity is not always available. With different power heads I can do anything from washing vehicles/tractors to stripping paint/concrete etc. I like the versitility.