Good set of Drill bits

/ Good set of Drill bits #11  
Kubotasteve
I would have told you that the titanium faced drill bits was a waste of money a couple of years ago "but" my uncle and I were building a very heavy transport trailer 1/2" wall 6"x6" square tube frame and 3/8" cross piece supports every 16" the trailer is 7' x 24' and is farm rated for 33,000 lbs not that it would hold up for that but the point is its heavy. When it came to attaching the floor boards he told me to go buy a dozen cheap 1/4" metal bits but when I got to Home Depot they had the titanium on sale so I got 6 titanium faced ones. I still have 5 in their packages 2 years later and many holes in metal and wood later without ever sharpening the one I'm using and sadly enough I rarely use oil and on the trailer never used any going thru the 2 x 10's and the 3/8" metal cross pieces over 250 screws put in. These weren't any special bits just Diston or something of that quality titanium bits off the shelf at Home Depot.
Steve, and no I don't own stock in Diston or Titanium bits I'm just very pleased with the work they've allowed me to do without a bunch of playing around, I know many will say why not use oil well my uncle is a big boy 400+lbs and you don't want his size 16's on your bu** for lollygaging around he's sweating and wants to go inside to the AC now and from the smell of him I wanted to do everything in my power to make that happen and soon.
Steve

/ Good set of Drill bits #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So what dont I get in the $18.00 model, That the $175.00 model gives me.)</font>

The 18.00 model DD100 does not come with a replaceable grinding wheel. The 79.00 dollar model DD300 (I have one of these) does the same thing, but has a longer life since you can replace the grinding wheel. The 175.00 model does a much larger drill bit size.. That explains the cost.

/ Good set of Drill bits #13  
Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but those with Dill Dr's. Do you have any problem sharpening small drill bits?
I have the deluxe model and I can't seem to sharpen bits smaller than 1/4".
Any tips would be appreciated.
Leroy

/ Good set of Drill bits #14  
The ole saying - you get what you pay for, Bud...
The more expensive has a replacable diamond wheel & what I consider the best feature, the abilty to change angles & add split point feature. The more expensive unit will accept 2 different chucks, one to 1/2" bits and another that accepts up to 3/4" bits. An awesome investment if you do a fair amount of drilling; I figure that mine paid for itself in about 18 months & I paid $279 canadian (with 3/4 chuck)

/ Good set of Drill bits #15  
I just bought the Model 750 @ Sears the other morning.

The final price was $97 - it was on sale, plus an extra 10% from my Craftsman Club membership, plus an additional 10% off for a 7AM - 10AM sale that morning (last Saturday)

Only downside is I won't get it until after Christmas - they didn't have any in stock - no worries - for that price I can wait a couple of weeks.

/ Good set of Drill bits #16  
Like rswryn, I bought mine from Sears on sale last year and paid just under $90 with all the discounts applied. The Drill Dr works fine on the average size bits (1/4" thru 1/2") that I would normally throw away when dull. For large than 1/2" it works ok but those expensive bits I hand sharpen. I have never tried to sharpen a bit less than 3/16" so I can't comment there.

/ Good set of Drill bits #17  
I got a Drill Doctor and do sharpen up to 3/4 and it works very well. I can not do beans trying to do one free hand. It sure is nice when I am doing a job and get a dull one just to pull out the DD and presto I am back in business.

/ Good set of Drill bits #18  
when I was in high school i couldn't shapen a bit for anything, then I saw a FACTORY re-sharpening stand & machine setup, then I understood that there is a 3 axis movement done when sharpening one RIGHT. the drill docs I've seen worked OK, but were the non-replaceable wheel types. I can hand sharpen 99 out of 100 bits as good or better and much faster using the good ole bench grinder now /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif it DOES require the right stone and a good grinder with 0 runout though. I bought a junker grinder for the farm a few yrs back and it has too much runout to sharpen them, (reason I got the grinder)

Anyhow I've sharpened everything form very small stuff that requires a dang hand vice to hold onto the bits up to 2" using a good grinder & a steady rest. though anything under 1/8' gets pretty much a ver delicate procedure no kidding about it.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Good set of Drill bits #19  
I buy lots of drills as a machinist. Minimum quality is HSS M42. Better is cobalt split tip. Generaly I can teach someone to sharpen drills by hand on a grinder in a hour or so. Hardest sizes to sharpen are the smallest ones. Unless you are drilling holes all day I would recomend buying him a set of HSS-M42. There is a good on line catalog with MSC Supply, you can do side by side compairasons. For a good name brand 3 set box expect to pay around $250.
Chris