Good Tap and Die sets - Metric and English

/ Good Tap and Die sets - Metric and English #31  
IMHO, what makes a GOOD tap (especially) is the metallurgy. It's tricky to get just the right combination of soft enough to be able to machine the tap threads properly, hard enough to cut well without wearing, and tough enough to not be prone to snap off. So, the very best quality tool steel combined with very precise heat treatment.
T/D threads can be ground with CBN for steel or Diamond for carbide, so hardness is most an issue of wear and toughness,

/ Good Tap and Die sets - Metric and English #32  
IMHO, what makes a GOOD tap (especially) is the metallurgy. It's tricky to get just the right combination of soft enough to be able to machine the tap threads properly, hard enough to cut well without wearing, and tough enough to not be prone to snap off. So, the very best quality tool steel combined with very precise heat treatment.

When it comes to commercial high quality tapes I believe most taps are ground.

FEW Anca TapX CNC Tap Grinder - YouTube

DOIMAK RER 5 SL Tap Grinding Machine - YouTube

Tap Threading - YouTube

Many more videos if you search YouTube for grinding taps.

Here are two very good information videos from a guy who definitely knows his stuff.

Part One: Are all Taps the same ? - YouTube (22 minutes)

Part Two: Are All Taps The Same -- Part 2 - YouTube (40 minutes)

/ Good Tap and Die sets - Metric and English
Well Santa found me. Received a English/metric set from HF #35407. Just need to add the bigger metric ones that fit my tractor. There is space in the case for extras too. Should do what I need.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Keith