Got the tractor stuck

/ Got the tractor stuck #1  

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
Well had the tractor out a couple of weeks ago to level an area we wanted to build a new chicken coop. I had driven over this area a few times before with no problems. Was going back and forth trying to just scrape a few inches off the top as we are going to put in a cement foundation. Then it happened, tractor wouldn't go and realized the back was in mud. Put it into 4 WD but that didn't help. Took a deep breath and pondered what to do to get her out. Had the backhoe on so used the stabilizers to lift the back end and put some scrap 2 X 6 bits of board under the back wheels. Dug out the front ones a bit as they were down a few inches. Put boards in front of all the wheels and out she came. Put the tractor back in its home as I was calling it a day, didn't want to push my luck. Next day I dug a ditch to help drain water from the area into a seasonal creek close by. Lucky I had the backhoe on, made getting out simple. Measured the mud line on the backhoe and it was 19 inches. The most interesting thing is my wife was gardening not far by and didn't even know I had gotten the tractor stuck. Sometimes I can use loud and interesting language. :D:cool: Guess I just didn't get that excited about it.
So found a new use for the backhoe :D :cool2:

Attachments

• StuckMilling 001.jpg
    StuckMilling 001.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 488
  • StuckMilling 004.jpg
    StuckMilling 004.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 394
  • StuckMilling 005.jpg
    StuckMilling 005.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 363
  • StuckMilling 002.jpg
    StuckMilling 002.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 186
   / Got the tractor stuck #2  
Well, since you are sharing....

This is my neighbour and I stuck in his field. It went from dry and firm to goo in about 10 feet. Took over 2 hours to get out. The goo was so deep when I tried to put the bucket or BH down they would just sink deeper and deeper. We had to lift what we could by putting down boards and so on. It took us a whole 6 pack to get out!

I'm the guy in the overalls with the muddy hands. The other fella is my pal Kenny.

It was fun to be honest. Got a little tippy trying to lift the back end with the hoe though.

LOL

Attachments

• stuck1.JPG
    stuck1.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 558
  • stuck2.JPG
    stuck2.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 380
  • stuck3.JPG
    stuck3.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,262
  • stuck4.JPG
    stuck4.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 676
   / Got the tractor stuck #3  
On the six pack issue, did it take any to get in :thumbsup:

/ Got the tractor stuck #4  
Ha ha ha

No, we can't use that excuse.

/ Got the tractor stuck #5  
Now that is stuck!:D

/ Got the tractor stuck #6  
Sorry Mouse, didn't intend to hijack. Your rear end is deeper in the muck than I was I must say.

/ Got the tractor stuck #8  
Hope you are talking about the tractor's rear end. :D:D

Be thankful you're in Canada; around here, you'd have call the DEP, apply for permits to drain a "wet land"(and wouldn't get one if there are "vernal pools")construct silt dams so as not to pollute the stream you're draining into,and then you "might" be able to drain it. More than likely, by the time this has all been accomplished, it would have dried-up on it's own

/ Got the tractor stuck
Be thankful you're in Canada; around here, you'd have call the DEP, apply for permits to drain a "wet land"(and wouldn't get one if there are "vernal pools")construct silt dams so as not to pollute the stream you're draining into,and then you "might" be able to drain it. More than likely, by the time this has all been accomplished, it would have dried-up on it's own

We have our own environmental laws up this way. I only dug the ditch towards the seasonal creek, which flows into our year round one, it still has to naturally find its way about 30 ft to the seasonal creek. :) Since we moved here we are no longer allowed to do ANYTHING :( within 10 meters (about 33 ft) from the TOP edge (bank) of our year round creek. In some ways that is good but it does run 900 ft through the property, that's a lot of land to give up with no compensation. My wife and I have received, from the local stream keepers, an award :thumbsup: for being good stewards of the creek/land, we do try to be sensitive about the land/environment.

/ Got the tractor stuck #10  
Good job getting out of the mud. It is amazing how quickly they sink, and then absolutely no traction. I am glad the muck was firm enough so that the BH could lift the tires. I similarly stuck a rented tractor in the lake bed at my house several years ago. It has BH and FEL so I thought, "No problem, I will just walk this thing out" No such luck, the black muddy muck in the lake bed did not offer enough resistance; the BH and FEL just sank. I was able to swing BH to the side and raise one tire at a time, place boards under and proceed. Got it out after several tries at this.

Congrats on the Friend of the Stream Award. While I am no tree hugger or green devotee, I try to protect the beauty God has blessed us with. To each his own, but I cannot see how folks can deposit garbage in such pristine locations, or even on the side of the road for that matter.

One other thought, in another post you said you have never had need to plow any land, BUT it appears you did some plowing in that mud hole. Keep up the good work, and let us know how the chicken coop progresses.