Grapple and Round Hay Bales

/ Grapple and Round Hay Bales #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I found out real quick that my grapple could not pick up a 5'+ round bale on the round side. it would just pull off a layer of hay.

The only way to move it was to stab it on the flat side about mid way and clap down on it. My grapple does not have a support bar or pipe between the tines so this worked.

Does anyone else move their round bales with a grapple?

Attachments

• grapple & bale.jpg
    grapple & bale.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 375
   / Grapple and Round Hay Bales #2  
I've done it but only if the bale is destined for a ditch. It screws up the integrity of the bale.

/ Grapple and Round Hay Bales #5  
I sometimes feed hay when my grapple is on. I have to pinch the same way you do.

/ Grapple and Round Hay Bales #6  
I sometimes feed hay when my grapple is on. I have to pinch the same way you do.

Same here. Using the grapple tears the net wrap pretty good and sometimes I lose a little hay.

/ Grapple and Round Hay Bales #7  
I found out real quick that my grapple could not pick up a 5'+ round bale on the round side. it would just pull off a layer of hay.

The only way to move it was to stab it on the flat side about mid way and clap down on it. My grapple does not have a support bar or pipe between the tines so this worked.

Does anyone else move their round bales with a grapple?

have moved both the rounds and large squares with the grapple on my Rhino 554 the grapple seems to be more useful for me with the square bales versus rounds.

/ Grapple and Round Hay Bales #8  
Bale spear seems to work pretty fine, grapple bucket seems overkill for bales...but would be plenty nice for other stuff...

/ Grapple and Round Hay Bales
Bale spear seems to work pretty fine, grapple bucket seems overkill for bales...but would be plenty nice for other stuff...
Agreed. When I bought my grapple it was not for the intended purpose of moving round bales. But now I don't need a spear for the occasional use of helping my Dad.