Grapple repair project

/ Grapple repair project #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I bent my hydraulic cylinder mount on my grapple, so this thread is to document the problem, the repair and the final configuration.

Pics of the problem. You can see that both plates are bent backwards; this also means that the "teeth" no longer fully close.

1QYFWUR.jpg

About a 4" gap:

7Q952HH.jpg

You can see that the mount is two vertical 1/4" plates; pretty thin IMO. The bend is easier to see as well.

jpiz91u.jpg

Worse, the bottom rear edge of both plates are cracked. This would explain why I had no holding power on logs the last time I used the grapple.

XKeF0DC.jpg

I went to my local welding supply store and got 3' of 3/4"x3" flat stock. I'll use this to replace the two 1/4" flat bar used now.

Thanks for looking and stay tuned!

/ Grapple repair project #2  
Agree that looks flimsy from the start.

Went back and read comments when you were selecting the grapple. Price, weight, width, tine thickness and other options. EA wicked grapple was mentioned as price comparisons. What wasn’t discussed was the difference of the type of steel. It matters. As well as the overall design.

Many ways to skin a cat with repairs. Might consider a plate between the two 1/4” plates. 1/2”? Make bigger to weld to especially on the back side toward the tractor. Can notch out and come down on the ssqa plate for strength. Similar for the front mindful of the hinge pin clearance.
Slice below the pin holes horizontally about an inch and move them forward. Locate and drill the hole in the new middle plate. Now have plenty to weld to. On top of the bent triangle gussets weld a piece of flat bar right angle from the tower to frame.