gravel driveway

/ gravel driveway #1  

grasswhacker103

Tractor
2017 ventrac 4500Z
hello fellas, i have a 4500z with 3 point hitch and duel wheels and i would like to get a land leveler--grading scraper or whatever you call it so i can work on my gravel driveway. i was thinking about getting a box blade but i think this other attachment would do better for me. they make 4' and 5' widths do you think my tractor could lift and pull either one of these ? my driveway has one place with a 17 degree slope. thank you.

/ gravel driveway #2  
Welcome to TBN and the forum. You are looking at a land plane grading scraper ( LPGS ). I'm sure your tractor would pull either a 4' or 5'. Would it lift either unit - - ???? None of the Ventrac sites list the lift ability of the optional 3-point system. What does your Owners Manual for the 3-point say? If nobody has an answer - call your dealer.

/ gravel driveway #3  
750 -1000 I think, I was ripping out roots with my homemade ripper and it will pick the front end off the ground, very easy.... jim

/ gravel driveway #4  
Try a landscape rake with gauge wheels behind the teeth 7 or 8' (because at 45 degrees angle the rake swath is a lot less.) If the driveway is already sorta pretty good a rake is all you need to make a crowned flat topped roadway. But a great driveway makes speeding more likely, so leave a speed bump in there a few times.

/ gravel driveway #5  
I also use my landscape rake very successfully on my steep gravel driveway. I'm on clay so I usually wait until after a good soaking rain to rake out the washboards and the wash out areas. My drive varies but the worst I have is a 15 degree slope. I can rake either direction, but it probably goes without saying that "down" is much easier to rake. In general I only need to make one or two passes and I only need to rake maybe once every other month. Even at that people have told me that I rake too much, but seems to be about right for me.

Moving around new gravel is also efficient with the landscape rake, as long as you just have to smooth it around.

/ gravel driveway #6  
hello fellas, i have a 4500z with 3 point hitch and duel wheels and i would like to get a land leveler--grading scraper or whatever you call it so i can work on my gravel driveway. i was thinking about getting a box blade but i think this other attachment would do better for me. they make 4' and 5' widths do you think my tractor could lift and pull either one of these ? my driveway has one place with a 17 degree slope. thank you.

If you would use 2A modified stone you would only have to do it once, it will not kick out or washboard like gravel. It will pack like concrete. All used was the bucket

/ gravel driveway #7  
Not everyone who comes down my driveway is familiar with driving on slopes. Several people believe the only way to get out is to "floor it" and leave a huge rut all the way up.

This 2A stone looks great, but what happens when it gets rutted from bad drivers or water? Since it compacts, I won't be able to fix it with the rake. Seems like I'll be worse off.

/ gravel driveway #8  
No, you can fix it too but not that often. water will get to it a little but here again you can fix it, I did for 20 years with a front bucket on a 422 PT. or a Steiner and the ventrac and that is in. depending order of usefulness with the bucket. Gravel is worthless on a hill, it will not compact...... jim

/ gravel driveway #9  
Not everyone who comes down my driveway is familiar with driving on slopes. Several people believe the only way to get out is to "floor it" and leave a huge rut all the way up.

This 2A stone looks great, but what happens when it gets rutted from bad drivers or water? Since it compacts, I won't be able to fix it with the rake. Seems like I'll be worse off.

It's 2A Modified, it has fines in it down to dust that is what makes it pack. ..... jim

/ gravel driveway #10  
here's the spec sheet... says 750lbs lift capacity Screenshot_20201021-221041_Drive.jpg