Grease in Woods chopper Gearbox

/ Grease in Woods chopper Gearbox #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Would it hurt the gear box on my Woods MD172 chopper if I just put a couple pounds of grease in it? I am not in the mood to replace the seal only to have it fail next year again and I can't afford to buy a Bush Hog cutter just yet but if I can just grease it without worry I will go that route and be done with it.

/ Grease in Woods chopper Gearbox #2  
I don't think so.

I have seen it done many times and we did the same thing to one we had growing up.

You just need to keep it pumped full like every 6-8 hours of use once you have make sure you have it packed / pumped full.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

/ Grease in Woods chopper Gearbox #3  
And use a high quality grease. There's lots of gear boxes out there that run grease rather than oil, and either way, as long as the bearings are lubed that's all that matters.

/ Grease in Woods chopper Gearbox
atgreene said:
And use a high quality grease. There's lots of gear boxes out there that run grease rather than oil, and either way, as long as the bearings are lubed that's all that matters.

All I use are New Holland oils and grease which I trust are good.

I guess I will try it and just keep an eye on things.