Greetings from the Okanogan (WA)

/ Greetings from the Okanogan (WA) #1  

MulishOne

Tractor
ASV 4810
~~ Just a quick check in...

I joined the forum because I need recommendations with regard to what kind of tractor will best suit my needs. I have a 74 acre decommissioned orchard (30 in irrigable land on which the apples/ cherries grew) in Okanogan Valley. (One familiar with orchard lands will immediately visualize the scene: acres and acres of re-sprouting root stock apples ****-bent and determined to reestablish themselves as crab apple trees.)

So far the trees are winning. And I spend 5 days each fall mowing them (and the weeds) with a mower deck and a 35 HP Kubota (which does not belong to me and is no longer available to me).

I'm re-establishing the agricultural classification and have committed to growing 15 acres of hay and growing 5-6 cattle on the remaining 15.

I own an ASV 4810 Skid Steer, which has little value on my land, save ripping out the apple tree roots (with the bucket or 6-way blade-- which both make a terrible mess of things). I need to sell this machine (which I bought in 2005 for $27,000 -- and cannot seem to get nibbles on when priced at $25,000 with new tracks (cost of $5K).

So, I need to sell the ASV and purchase an appropriate tractor.

I think that the tractor will have to be strong enough to:
1. move hay (square or round bales)
2. plow snow in the winter (therefore must be a 4wd)
3. pull appropriate implements: plow, disc, harrow, baler. (I'm hoping to do the mowing and raking with horses)
4. miscelaneous farm/ ranch tasks as needed (such as the immediate one to plant a 3 acre field to summer alfalfa (green manure crop) to enrich the soil so that we can grow decent hay next year).

Recommendations with regard to brand, model, year, horsepower, implements, and other critical issues will be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to "visit" may ranch-- The 3-Bell Ranch - Home ! We are a World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms member farm. (see: WWOOF-USA )

Tara

/ Greetings from the Okanogan (WA) #2  
Welcome to TBN! Enjoy the forums, and post often.

/ Greetings from the Okanogan (WA) #3  
I sent you some adds from craigslist yesterday. Good luck!