Groundhogs - good or bad?

/ Groundhogs - good or bad? #31  
A trick that my Great-Grandfather and Great-Grandmother used to do to kill those varmits on their farm many years ago was knowing that a Groundhog/Woodchuck will always come up from there hole and look in the same direction as they did when they went down.

My Great-Grandmother used to sneak up on a groundhog, and when they saw her, would jump down into their hole and she would just back away, then my Great-Grandfather moved closer to the hole from the opposite direction and waited. When the ol' bugger came back up, he would always come up with his back to my Great-Grandfather and BANG -- problem gone.

/ Groundhogs - good or bad? #32  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "humane traps" and trap them to move them to someone elses neighborhood.... )</font>

Maybe to the fools yard who is responsible for the no guns of any kind law in your area.....justice.

If it was me; scoped 223 on a tripod mount and a confortable chair. ARs are ideal for fast followup shots.

That reminds me of a story about a freind that had one digging up his yard. One day he was working on something and had a hammer in his hand when he noticed the beast in close proximity out of the corner of his eye. He treid to sneak up on it and got with in about 15 feet when the ground hog turned and looked at him. So he tries to throw the hammer and hit the ground hog. As he tells it, the ground hog ran right at him between his legs... its still unclear who had who /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Fred

/ Groundhogs - good or bad? #33  
If it is like this state anything they have on the law books that you cann't have , you cann't get shipped to you from out of state , ,,,Kodie (sp?) bear traps are the ones to get , they come in many sizes , the first one or two smaller size one will be big enough for any woodchuck, they are made out of heavy wire and have one or sometimes two springs on the side and a catch /trigger , , they are used to trap muskrats and beaver , but work well for any Critter that will get it's head in the open trap , (skunks , possuims , coons , etc. ), just make sure that you cover it from pets getting at it , and use that chain and stake it down ,,,,, just in case you get a critter that does not get the head/neck in the thing first and sets it off ...a search of trapping suppliers should find you one ...good luck
Bill G.
faithful to the 3S rule /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Groundhogs - good or bad? #34  
I must admit I practice a vendetta against groundhogs and the best medicine I have found is a .22-250. My wife likens me to Bill Murry in the movie Caddy Shack. Those giant rats dig holes in the dam of my pond that could potentially end up as weak spots and develop into leaks. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif It would cost me a ton of $'s to rebuild the dam. So...it's not difficult for me to justify ridding the farm of those critters. If PETA wants to protest my methods, I suggest they send the Dixie Chicks for a nude sit-in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Briarwood

/ Groundhogs - good or bad? #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I suggest they send the Dixie Chicks for a nude sit-in. )</font>

You let us know about the sit in and I will be over to watch...... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif oh my.................. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif