Group buy for future purchases?

/ Group buy for future purchases? #1  

Ooklaa

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson gc1720
Not sure if any vendor that are selling products is interested in group buy purchases? On some other forums im apart of members will get together and bulk up their money to buy a single product and a significanlty lower price. Like for example buying a third fucntion kit from one company, if we can get 20 members to purchase at like 35% discount.

This is what we normally do when buying stuff in ither forum..

Anyone interested? Start putting what you want and at what price and lets see what kind of results we can get.

/ Group buy for future purchases? #2  
Not sure if any vendor that are selling products is interested in group buy purchases? On some other forums im apart of members will get together and bulk up their money to buy a single product and a significanlty lower price. Like for example buying a third fucntion kit from one company, if we can get 20 members to purchase at like 35% discount.

Anyone interested? Start putting what you want and at what price and lets see what kind of results we can get.

I'm interested in a rear remote hydraulic line setup for my GC1715. Axlehub is aware of this, and hopefully we can get something going in that area. hint, hint, hint. Axlehub? Are your ears burning yet? :laughing:

/ Group buy for future purchases? #3  
For that idea to work (and I agree it can) it would need to be for multiples of the same product/item and possibly the exact same part number.
I'd guess also one delivery to one location.
Like 20ea 60" snow blowers or 20 ea grader blades.

What probably would really pay off is one container full from China of 3 point attachments.

You then would need sizable deposits from each participant as human nature steps in and you could suddenly be stuck with more whatevers than you wanted.

/ Group buy for future purchases? #4  

Niko, the concept of group buys is one I've been in for many years in my business. But there are a significant number of isdues involved imo.

1. Is it a commodity item or a specialty item? Commodity items are always in competition AND if you bade the discounts off of LIST commodity prices . . then 20% to 35% discounts are possible. Howover in non-commodity/specialty items . . . 5% or at most 10% is consisered generous.

An example: a hay bale spear that works with a skid steer quick attach is a commodity because many businesses make them and they can be used on many brands and equipment types might get a group buy price discount at 25% from list price. But that same unit might be a sale item at a Farm and Fleet or a Tractor Supply for 20% off the list price too.

Now specialty items is a different story. I talked to a vendor today who sells a product I want for my tractor. Its never on sale, patented by them, and they sell direct from manufacturer. They charge for shipping . . No discounts if you buy 10 of them or one. Why? Because they are unique and anybody who wants one goes to them. They don't gouge the price . . in fact theu haven't raised their price since 2009 even though their materials prices have gone up.

I'm not saying that group buying can't work . . But I am saying that many tractor related suppliers don't have the big margins that you think. Many are smaller businesses making products big businesses aren't willing to make because the total sales size is small . . . and the customer base is not geographically together.

At the same time . . it doesn't hurt to try :)

/ Group buy for future purchases? #5  
I'm interested in a rear remote hydraulic line setup for my GC1715. Axlehub is aware of this, and hopefully we can get something going in that area. hint, hint, hint. Axlehub? Are your ears burning yet? :laughing:

Well, my ears twitched just a smidge lol. That's a great example you have there windcatcher . . of a specialty category item. :)

/ Group buy for future purchases?
Not everything is perfect but when it comes to group buys it takes a lil time and patients, one for the product and 2 for people to get th funds.

I deal with custom fabricators all the time. It also puts them in a better position as with a grouod buy people are commtted to the purchase so now the sealer knows how much they need and dont have to sit on stock for months or years.

/ Group buy for future purchases? #7  
Not everything is perfect but when it comes to group buys it takes a lil time and patients, one for the product and 2 for people to get th funds.

I deal with custom fabricators all the time. It also puts them in a better position as with a grouod buy people are commtted to the purchase so now the sealer knows how much they need and dont have to sit on stock for months or years.

Niko, I thought you owned/ran a restaurant. What kinds of custom fabricators are you dealing with?

I have a family freind who owns a performance shop. Used to be my thing a long time ago but now i buy tractors lol. I helped with marketing and sales on the side for him. We have done tons of group buys for smaller crowds. We used forums a lot for advertising when he was smaller business. Group buys where good for both ends, for example he would develope a custom intercooler setup for a turbocharged car. Show the before and after of data logging. Put out a group buy of 5-30 units and use a discount bracket, the more units sold the cheaper the price. He then new how much he needed to buy from his supplier etc.

But im goung back 20 years ago. Same process i assume still works now.

Sorry imshould of wrote i have dealt with not deal with on post #6.

/ Group buy for future purchases? #9  
Niko, you're just full of surprises :)

I was also a monitor engineer but that's also another life!