GT275 PTO Troubleshooting Help

/ GT275 PTO Troubleshooting Help #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
I am about to drop this machine off with my small engine guy but thought I would ask for additional thoughts prior.

My GT275's PTO will not spin. I replaced the old switch with a new one for good measure - no change. The switch has proper continuity per the maintenance manual checks. I checked for current/amps at the harness side, everything was within limits per the mm once again. I pulled the PTO off the machine, cleaned it thoroughly and hooked it up to 12 volts power - it fires as it should.

My symptoms now are: Engine will try and stall with the PTO switch in the ON position, with either (1) me getting off the seat, or (2) releasing the parking brake.

Any thoughts appreciated.

/ GT275 PTO Troubleshooting Help #3  
"My symptoms now are: Engine will try and stall with the PTO switch in the ON position, with either (1) me getting off the seat, or (2) releasing the parking brake."

Those aren't symptoms, that's the way it is supposed to be.

It wasn't clear where you checked your voltage. Your clutch should have close to 12 VDC at the power terminal and a ground at the other. Usually a clutch that shows wear exceeds 3 OHMs nicely. I'm thinking that your clutch isn't adjustable? Being out of position and engaging might be enough to allow the clutch to fire if it were worn.

/ GT275 PTO Troubleshooting Help
Cannot thank you enough. Initially, and a few months back, the PTO tested within limits (barely). Your point about bench testing provided to be correct - checking again I was reading anywhere from 20 - 60 ohms of resistance across the clutch terminals. Ordered a new one, installed - and all is well!