Guidance on Kioti Purchase and Necessary Implements

/ Guidance on Kioti Purchase and Necessary Implements #1  

Matt VA

Tractor
2021 Branson 4820CH
Looking at 30 acres of land with some pasture, some trees that would require tending to from time to time, and a long driveway that may need maintenance and snow removal. Plan is to have a few animals -- 2-4 horses, goats and hobby farm. I initially thought CK4010se but then decided that from time to time there might be something where I could use something bigger. So now have set sights on a DK4710se hc. That is probably all the tractor I want to manage and it gives me nearly 35 HP at the PTO.

So, do I really need the DK over the CK as a modest hobby farmer for 30 acres, or should the CK meet my needs? Also, what implements? I assume for starters the following:

1. FEL (of course)
2. 6' rotary cutter
3. 6' box blade (would a regular scraper be the better option for driveway)
4. Snow plow (seems more economical than a blower)
5. Grapple (for brush and trees)

Missing anything?

Thanks in advance

Matt.

/ Guidance on Kioti Purchase and Necessary Implements #2  
So, do I really need the DK over the CK as a modest hobby farmer for 30 acres, or should the CK meet my needs?

I have 25 acres of more marginal country than you here in Australia, and I went for a 42HP CK. My primary requirement is mowing, secondary is landscaping/maintenance and the third is utility tasks. While the machine does well on most tasks, the smaller size comes in handy for the landscaping tasks where manoeuvrability is important. Unfortunately I don’t know the requirements for snow clearing, but I think the CK will do OK for all your other needs.

Also, what implements? I assume for starters the following:

1. FEL (of course)
2. 6' rotary cutter
3. 6' box blade (would a regular scraper be the better option for driveway)
4. Snow plow (seems more economical than a blower)
5. Grapple (for brush and trees)

Missing anything?

Perhaps forks and a rear weight. You might also consider a flail mower instead of the rotary cutter - they mulch the cuttings which may improve your land.

/ Guidance on Kioti Purchase and Necessary Implements #3  
For your use / plans I would be happy with mine, so the 4010 should easily do it - I think you'd appreciate a set of pallet forks as well.......

/ Guidance on Kioti Purchase and Necessary Implements #4  
Honestly, the Ck4010se should handle everything you need on that property. I own a CK4010SEHC on 27 acres and has never failed me yet. However, the DK4710SEHC is a great tractor and it's always best to upgrade to the next size tractor, if you think you will ever need it. Insure all your remotes are dealer installed, including 3rd function for the grapple.

My recommendation is to consider the Kioti medium duty 60" rotary cutter if you have a lot of field brush. It cuts up to 3" thick brush easily, when sufficiently powered. And its easier to maneuver around trees and obstacles. All Kioti branded implements are made by Woods. One of the best in the industry.
I also second BrkMstr: get pallet forks.

/ Guidance on Kioti Purchase and Necessary Implements #5  
I have had both sized tractors. I have a DK4710se right now. It is plenty powerful. It is more stable and and heavier, especially with the loader on. The 4010 will be lighter,more nimble and easier to haul. I found that there was not a lot of cost difference. I think either would work but the old saying is to buy one size bigger than the size you think you need.

/ Guidance on Kioti Purchase and Necessary Implements #6  
Are you going to handle round bales? Weight will be your friend especially if you stack them.
With a smaller machine I found that I always needed to have a counterweight on to do anything with a loader.
Not that I'm anti counterweight, it's just a pain to put one on just to move something like a round bale.
Get enough tractor.

/ Guidance on Kioti Purchase and Necessary Implements #7  
Regarding either the box blade or rear scraper blade for gravel roads maintenance. The rear blade is best for quickly spreading loose gravel dumped by truck. But for a existing hard packed gravel road that needs long term maintenance, the box blade or land plane works best. A box blade is an extremely versatile implement, that takes persistence and a little time to build experience. You can also use the box blade to loosen soil prior to tilling, as a cultivator and many other tasks.

Last edited: