Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas

/ Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #81  
There are a number of books available which provide interesting true personal accounts of folk who have been saved by having a gun.

Thank God I had a Gun, by Chris Bird,

America Fights Back ,by Alan Gottlieb & Dave Workman

Guns Save Lives, by Robert A Waters

I have these and John Lotts book on my bookshelf . I would recommend taking a look at maybe attending an IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) meeting where you can use and gain experience with your personal carry weapon Info here : http://www.idpa.com/

If all else fails , I have attached a photo of my BUG,( Back Up Gun ) :D :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 16inch-howitzer.gif
    16inch-howitzer.gif
    62.7 KB · Views: 103
   / Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #82  
On the other side of the fence from the "no guns allowed" crowd is the city of Kennesaw, GA who passed a law in 1982 requiring that all households to own a gun.
[Sec 34-21]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

See Gun Ownership - It's The Law In Kennesaw

Aaron Z

/ Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #84  
I'm surprised that the hand gun laws in Texas are so strict, not a good state to live if you want to carry your handgun everywhere.

I'm also surprised as democratic as Washington state is, we can carry ours just about everywhere, open or concealed.

/ Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #85  
To those that wonder if "more guns = more crime" should read about the research of Dr. John Lott. Use Google or go to www.johnlott.org The cities with the toughest gun laws have the higher violent crime. They argue that the higher crime requires the tougher laws.

John Lott's research seems to argue the other way. My opinion is that this push to tougher laws is politicians pandering to irrational fears.

Vernon

One would not have to look further than Washington, D.C. or Chicago to test that theory. I believe that less guns = more crime.

/ Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #86  
One would not have to look further than Washington, D.C. or Chicago to test that theory. I believe that less guns = more crime.

It all depends on how many guns there actually are, not just legally registered guns, and who is shooting who - doesn't it?

If it's gang members shooting other gang members, heck, they all have guns - 99% stolen or black market. How many legally registered guns a given city has, or how restrictive gun ownership laws are, plays no role in that. In fact, it demonstrates that multiple well-armed groups are blasting away at each other. The more guns they have, the more shooting they do. If they didn't have guns, they would use something else. Unfortunately, guns are more likely to inflict collateral damage than other hand held weapons.

Gun related crime is a symptom of the underlying problems. Although correlating crime to gun laws makes good ammunition for some gun rights arguments, I think you have to choose your arguments carefully. Nothing weakens an argument more than an invalid premise.

Maine has liberal gun ownership laws. It is also a market source for illegal guns in Massachusetts which has very restrictive gun laws. A Maine resident will buy the gun with money given to them by a Mass. person - who I guarantee you will not be registering that gun in Mass. There you have it, hardly any guns (on paper) but plenty of guns available to criminals; who use them to protect their drug routes and territories into Maine and other area states.

To me, what this shows is that gun ownership laws don't work, not that restrictive gun laws create more crime.

I certainly understand the need to fight back against gun laws, but it needs to be done with valid arguments. That's why the 2nd Amend. has been the most successful argument against gun control, it has validity.
Dave.

/ Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #87  
Dave

What you are talking about is a "straw purchase" which is illegal. The BATF has a strong campaign educating gun dealers on identifying such purchases.

A dealer can lose his license if any significant number are traced back to him so a very very mall number of dealers will risk it.

The liberal media and politicians play it up along with the mythical "gun show loophole" which is BS

Just my opinion :D:D

Vernon

/ Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #88  
Dave

What you are talking about is a "straw purchase" which is illegal. The BATF has a strong campaign educating gun dealers on identifying such purchases.

A dealer can lose his license if any significant number are traced back to him so a very very mall number of dealers will risk it.

The liberal media and politicians play it up along with the mythical "gun show loophole" which is BS

Just my opinion :D:D

Vernon

In the current issue of "Uncle Henry's" - a weekly thrift shopper type pub. sold in Maine, New Hampshire and Mass., there are 8 pages of firearms-related ads. About 20 ads per page on average. Take out the reloading, barrels, chokes, wanted and the like and there are at least 75 firearms for sale from private individuals. Not dealers. Probably not very traceable either at least in terms of holding the seller responsible. The market source is there. It's real. Not BS.

There is always the multiple 'straw purchase' scam too, please remember. "Yes officer, I bought that gun new. Sold it, oh, I can't recall exactly to whom. Some guy answered my ad and paid cash." Trying to track back through several layers of these private transactions is probably impossible even if someone wanted to.

Do anti-gun folks play it up? No doubt, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Dave.

/ Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #89  
   / Guns, Banks & Wild West Texas #90  
Sid, excellent links, thanks.

Re the NY fellow defending his home by firing 4 shots into the ground to alert Police via the Shotspotter technology.... well, I hope that the NY court determines that confrontation by 25+ belligerent, threatening and trespassing males constitutes physical force and that his response using his legally held weapon in a threatening but non injurious manner was warranted.