half choke

/ half choke #1  

46a

Tractor
farmall a
New member. I have a 1946 farmall A, Gramp bought it in "48". Recently it won't run good if at all unless choke is half on. Any help would be great. Thanks. 46a.

/ half choke #2  
Have you ever rebuilt a carb before? If not now is the time to learn!

Welcome to TBN!

/ half choke #3  
I believe I would check for fuel flow from the tank to carb. first. Be sure and check the screen in the top of the sediment bowl too. Then, remove the elbow from the carb. where the fuel line attaches. Inside the carb. on that el, is a fine mesh screen that will plug. If the screen is missing, I'd suggest getting a new one. About $7-$8. Some spray carb. cleaner and compressed air will clean it up fine.

Could even be a spec of something at the main jet partially plugging things. I've had my super C's do this a couple times over the years when out in the field. Just backing the main jet out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn will let it pass, and run fine after that.

Out of the 22 gas tractors I've had over the years, I've only put a carb kit in one. Simply because the previous owner damaged the end of the main jet, apparently running it in too far. All of the rest that had a problem just needed a good cleaning. If it comes to that, make sure all passages are clean,and do definitely check the main nozzle, it is the brass tube that comes up into the venturi, or main throat of the carb. There are two tiny cross drilled holes that will also plug. You will need to remove to to do this, and normally a deep well socket is required to remove it. I'd suggest a 6 point socket, ought to be about 3/8" or 7/16's. Just don't overtighten it when you re-install.

/ half choke
DT86 & DJ54, Thanks for the response, I new that I would have to get in there, now I've got some direction! Spring time project. Thanks again.