Harbor Freight Solar Panel Battery Charger

/ Harbor Freight Solar Panel Battery Charger #11  
They won't really charge up a low battery but they will keep a charged one charged, provided there is sunlight. I use one on the dash of my infrequently driven pick-up to keep it's dual batteries charged. Offsets the small drain from the PCM, etc.

/ Harbor Freight Solar Panel Battery Charger #12  
I have a summer place in new mexico that is totally solar powered. Harbor freight sells a 5 watt charger that 'theoretically' should have trickle charged my backhoe battery. However, without a controller, it fried it when left unattended for a few months. The controllers that sell for about 30 dollars will keep the battery from overcharging by shunting the solar power away after a preset voltage (appropriate for wet cell batteries) is reached. I've seen them at Northern Tool, West Marine, but I buy them from Northern Arizona Wind and Power.

What you end up with is a charger/maintainer that is WAY better than a plug in type, since it actually does taper to nearly nothing when the voltage is reached. For my home power, I use more complex MPPT charge controllers that allow incredible control over the battery. Also, Harbor Freight sells a 45watt combo with a not-so-great charge controller for $200. It's actually 3 separate 15 watt panels. Add 3 charge controllers, such as the Morninstar sungaurd controllers (about 30 dollars apiece) and you've got 3 charger/maintainers that will bring up a dead battery with no attendance or worry, just make sure there's water over the top of the cells (and no shorted cells). They can literally be left on all the time and whatever vehicle or implement will start when you want it to, especially when parking them far from the barn or shop. Solar chargers are cheaper and better than plug in types for my money, but you shouldn't use one without the controller.

The small 1.5 watt one does work for the average battery, but it relies on the resistance of the battery to keep it from overcharging, and doesn't have enough oomph to bring up a low battery in a few hours like the others I mentioned.

/ Harbor Freight Solar Panel Battery Charger #13  
Reply to: FarmTracRay

Ray,

I happened to find your post here at this site by chance doing a Google Search on another similar related topic that was close to home for me - namely battery chargers.

I am a resident expert on all batteries in general as well as batt chargers (both analog & computerized types), as I design (or redesign in this latest case) many a charger for a specific need.

I'm right now in the middle of another project to redesign a 2 Amp 12-volt charger into a bigger 24-volt 2 Amp charger so I can market and sell them to people having electric scooters who have either lost or had their original AGM batt chargers fail on them. There is a BIG BIG need for them right now and I love doing this type work.

I have the perfect $25 recommendation for your application if you care to email me.

If you or any of your farming friends ever need any expert reference to any batt or batt charger need don't hesitate to contact me direct at:

downtime1951@gbpackersfan.com

My dad was born and raised on a WI farm and I come from WI farmland originally myself as well, but currently reside in the Florida Sunshine State! I have to have Ocean water year round as I'm an avid scuba diver you see! I love my Packers too!

Have a great day!

Frank