Harvest seed from pasture?

/ Harvest seed from pasture? #1  

Banleno007

I've got some nice areas of clover/grass pasture with seedheads starting to grow now. Any recommendations on how to collect/harvest the seeds?

/ Harvest seed from pasture? #2  
How much area are talking about? Are you planning to seed new acreage on your property? For small areas you can harvest and reseed, a few hundred square feet.
In my opinion you should buy certified weed free seed and the inoculant for the clover.
Unless you already have the equipment, havesting forage seeds can be time consuming and resulting a less than expected results.
You will find that the Clover seed and Grass seed will mature at different times.

Last edited:
   / Harvest seed from pasture? #3  
I've had pretty good results from cleaning up the loose hay chaff in the barn, and spreading it on the thin spots in my pasture. Originally, like 15 years ago, I intended, just to mulch those areas until it recoverd in the spring, I ended up with some pretty nice Rye Grass, Blue Grass, Clover, and Alfalfa there.

The area where I ground hay with a hammermill, for an old mare I had, has the prettiest grass/clover/alfalfa, growing on 6" of #4 limestone.

Depending on how you are equipped, baling, and redistributing may be an option.