Have metal carport prices started to decline yet?

/ Have metal carport prices started to decline yet? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
And will they more? Steel prices are about back to 2019 levels.
1664060160610.png

/ Have metal carport prices started to decline yet? #2  
And will they more? Steel prices are about back to 2019 levels.
View attachment 763891

:ROFLMAO: Reality.

But we could hope.

You can't base it on raw steel costs. Fabrication of panels and supports with labor shortages is the new norm. Places are paying over $25/hr and still can't get people out to work those jobs. That's about $50K per year plus OT.

/ Have metal carport prices started to decline yet? #3  
Around here (Ontario, Canada), I'm seeing a lot of pricing variation, also still a lot of stocking issues, and yet elsewhere end-of-season clearance sales. So the answer is "it depends".

For instance, I've been looking to get a small Arrow 10x15x7 metal carport. Shoulda bought 3 years ago, oh well.

Early this summer, prices were high (as I expected). But a few weeks ago, HD put it on sale for 20% less than what some others are now calling a "special low price", which is itself about 10% less than it was early summer. And yet 10x24x7, a more mainstream size, seems to still be at top price, and in many places (around here at least) out of stock.

Last edited:
   / Have metal carport prices started to decline yet? #4  
Around here (Ontario, Canada), I'm seeing a lot of pricing variation, also still a lot of stocking issues, and yet elsewhere end-of-season clearance sales. So the answer is "it depends".

For instance, I've been looking to get a small Arrow 10x15x7 metal carport. Shoulda bought 3 years ago, oh well.

Early this summer, prices were high (as I expected). But a few weeks ago, HD but it on sale for 20% less than what some others are now calling a "special low price", which is itself about 10% less than it was early summer. And yet 10x24x7, a more mainstream size, seems to still be at top price, and in many places (around here at least) out of stock.
Yeah I am with you. Around here in 2020 I could get a 18x20 carport for $779, or $1079 installed. Not so much any more. Haven't looked in a while but those prices almost doubled.

I did score a 12x20 from down the road. I saw they were dismantling it outside of a house they were refinishing. Stopped by and the guy agreed to sell it to me for $100. Now I just need to get it put up!

/ Have metal carport prices started to decline yet? #5  
Oh heck no. They're still adding a 45% surcharge. I was going to do a tube frame loafing shed. You see an ad for X, write them for the proper quote and it was almost tripled. Built a pole shed version instead.

/ Have metal carport prices started to decline yet? #6  
Glad i bought in 2020 , My 28x35 has gone up over 5 grand. The carports they used to sell for 999, are 3200.

/ Have metal carport prices started to decline yet? #7  
Oh heck no. They're still adding a 45% surcharge. I was going to do a tube frame loafing shed. You see an ad for X, write them for the proper quote and it was almost tripled. Built a pole shed version instead.
Around here, you really have to gird for battle if you're talking to the "steel building" guys: fake sales, surcharges, sleazy tactics, misleading information regarding permitting. Fortunately, for carport size you can buy a kit from a mainstream big box store or online with transparent pricing, our township accepts the pdf plan provided (they just ask you questions to check if you've done your homework on snow load and footings/frost heave), and you just get Some Guy to help you erect it. Of course, you may still not like the price and guess right or wrong whether to sit out and wait, but at least you can avoid some of the shenanigans.

It's weird how some services can be full of sleaze and others that feel quite similar have much better ethics. So around here, the wooden building makers (prefab shed delivered or bigger building built on site) are generally honest and upstanding, even if their quality and price varies, while the steel building dealers are all(?) sleazy. Ag and construction equipment dealers are decent, but trailer and "recreational equipment" dealers suspect. Plumbers reliable but electricians not. It gives you whiplash if you're co-ordinating multiple projects at once!

/ Have metal carport prices started to decline yet?
Yup, they are creeping down.
linky

email from Versatube:
We Have New Pricing

Our steel costs are finally coming down, which means our prices are too.

We have new, lower pricing on ALL of our structures sitewide.

Fall is here, and the days are getting shorter, so take advantage of our new pricing and fast lead times and get your structure up before winter.

/ Have metal carport prices started to decline yet? #9  
One thing about the construction trades I know very well is once prices go up because of commodities prices, they never come back down to where they were, even if the commodities prices did.