Hawaii Vacation Ideas

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
I've been saving credit card points and the wife has decided it's time to finally take a trip to Hawaii. I went once in 2008 and have not researched any since then. I figure we can swing a week to 10 days. I know I want to hit the Polynesian Cultural center and Pearl Harbor. The wife wants to snorkel and there is a night time volcano/ stargazing tour she wants to do that I think is on the Big Island.

Do any of you have any pearls of wisdom for must-dos or must-sees? We are thinking potentially this fall.

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #3  
I have no pearls - but I love going to Wailea on Maui. It’s beautiful and they have the best golf and tennis resorts in the world —- if you like that stuff.

Plus - it’s very relaxing and peaceful.

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #4  
On our list. Wife's been there (40 yrs ago). She talking about an Alaskan Cruise or Puerto Rico right now.
Need AK and HI to complete all 50 states.

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #5  
I saw this go up for auction last week.

Bar None Auction: 1 Acre In Hawaii County

I thought it might be fun, but I looked it up on Google Maps, and it all seemed a bit odd. I think the lot is just north of here.

The best I can tell, it was an older development that got a recent lava flow wiping out everything.

And, what is left are the old plot lines and nothing but lava.

For the price, $10K would be your own piece of Hawaii, and it would be interesting to bust up the lava a bit, then get some vegetation growing and wait another 30 years.

As listed, it does have a good ocean view.

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #6  
I wonder what size bulldozer you would need to clear all the lava from that property? It definitely would be off-grid and I wonder what the codes are in Hawaii for building in places like that, which also would require sewerage systems?
I have traveled to that area and remember how barren and hopeless it seemed. Once upon a time it would have been a great place for a cabin overlooking the ocean but Mother Nature ruined those dreams.

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #7  
Hopping the Islands is rather in-expensive, but it is time consuming. Since you mention Pearl Harbor, that means O'ahu. Yet, I would set up home base in Maui. There isn't much in the way of public trans. Renting a car, in my opinion is necessary. I did just about all one can do in Maui in 2002 in 10 days: Sun Rise at Haliakali and horseback ride in to the crater, hike to the Bamboo Forest, Snorkel Coral Gardens, Helicopter tour, drove around the entire island, Hana, boggy boarding, and swimming at Pirate's Cove. Lahiana burned down. I did this in my early forties. I don't know how active you and wife want to be. Some hikes are pretty difficult for anyone over 60. The sales pitch ON the FLIGHT OVER, to attend a Time Share sells pitch would have paid for near everything we did. I chose not to do any of that. And glad I didn't. The ex-girlfriend at the time, had residency, so she got the local discount called the Kamaaina discount.
:)

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #8  
I wonder what size bulldozer you would need to clear all the lava from that property? It definitely would be off-grid and I wonder what the codes are in Hawaii for building in places like that, which also would require sewerage systems?
I have traveled to that area and remember how barren and hopeless it seemed. Once upon a time it would have been a great place for a cabin overlooking the ocean but Mother Nature ruined those dreams.
One question is how thick the lava flow is. One wouldn't necessarily want to get rid of all the lava as that might leave a cavernous hole.

I was thinking one would want to get a skid steer or track hoe with a good jack hammer, and just bust it into pieces for one's plot. Perhaps bring in some soil to mix in. Then plant a bunch of palms and native vegetation. Then just go away for several years and let nature do it's thing.

The plotted roads are also gone, so making more gravel.

There was a discussion earlier about rock crushers. But, this might need a BIG one.

The lava around here is very porous, but that might not be. I bought a little cut black basalt stone that was smooth and solid. Very different from what I'm used to seeing around here. So, if that is good stone, there could well be a market for it.

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #9  
On the big island, we liked the green sand beach at the south end, pay a local to drive you the last couple of miles. Punalu’u black sand beach and swimming with the turtles was pretty cool too.

/ Hawaii Vacation Ideas #10  
Honolulu is pretty much Memphis TN with palm trees and a beach.

It was really disappointing.

Pearl harbor is nice and super peaceful. Visiting the USS Missouri and wandering around on it was super cool.

Diamond head state park is a nice hike and really pretty.

Rent a car for a day and do a self tour of the island. That's well worth it.

Unless pearl Harbour is a must see. I would recommend skipping Oahu and hitting the big island instead.

If you do visit Oahu and staying at a resort. Parking costs are super expensive. But you can ride the bus with unlimited swipes if you get a bus pass. I believe it's $5 or $7 a day. You can get the pads at any ABC store.

We rented a car one day and did a self tour of the island. That was super cool.

First pick is an active monastery we visited. Last 3 were pearl harbor and USS Missouri. The picture of the flag I took from inside the memorial.
20220921_105238.jpg
20220921_084913.jpg
20220920_182927.jpg
20220920_114827.jpg
20220920_085359.jpg
20220920_105536.jpg